Rates of pay?

Treeman1

like you I make excuses!

We all do it too, theres that "grass is greener" echo in my mind, a sort of fear, but when im abroad or talking to my international euro buddies I know it would be so much cooler abroad :thumbup1: They have a different attitude and lifestyle.

Kids adapt far quicker than us old gits, and probably benefit a great deal from the experiences.

Tony, if both my kids lived with me we d be gone, but as one lives with her mother (THE BEAST) id feel pretty bad if i skedaddled and only saw her a couple of times a year.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

make yourself worth more, its simple. be the best climber you can be, dont break anything and add things to the game. i got paid fair money as a subby, i brought saws rigging kit including a hobbs block was polite and did what was asked of me. i was always busy and earnt good money

You must have worked for some good people then :thumbup1:

make yourself worth more, its simple. be the best climber you can be, dont break anything and add things to the game. i got paid fair money as a subby, i brought saws rigging kit including a hobbs block was polite and did what was asked of me. i was always busy and earnt good money

John,dont get me wrong,ive plenty of work and love doing it but long term i think other countries may have more to offer, we do still live in a green and pleasant land, albeit one with dwindling tree stock

Imo it is a relatively new industry that has become saturated quite quickly. Pre 87 tree surgeons were very thin on the ground in certain parts of the country and a lot of the climbing work was carried out by fallers that had the ability to climb treat is as part of their work and didnt big themselves up.

Although the bulk of our work is felling for timber we do quite a bit of felling work for arb companies from time to time, we fell a lot of trees that have been earmarked for dismantling, why? because we can.

Undoubtedly i have come across some very good climbers but i have also seen a lot that are pretty mediocre and will never have the ability to fell a tree as long as they have a hole in their butts and in my opinion are in the wrong game, far too many have the belief that because they have the tickets to climb trees they are someone that has the right to easy money, those days are gone in most industries now , ive been in the timber trade for almost 40 years and seen a lot of changes and tbh a lot of the newer entrants to the game wouldnt have lasted a month many years ago.

Don't you think sticking around and solving your own Country's problems isn't the right thing to do?

We have a problem, a government that is so detached from what the people want/need, and a desire to print more fiat currency and acquire debt to build a fancy boat for the queen, a fancy railway for the elites, and a fancy missile arsenal that will NEVER be used, but again, back handers and "incentives" rule in the military industrial complex.

land is too expensive to alter ones lifestyle to sustaining small holdings.

so would be the right thing to do but there are too many sheeples voting in a system thats rigged before the X goes in!

I agree there are a lot of people in this industry, some will stick at it, some wont.

But can i say this and not start a debate/ argument please?

There has to be new people to come into the industry for it to continue, what happens when you 40 odd year olds retire etc? And most on here are 40 or over... there is a big void. People who say they will still b climbing at 70 need their heads turning another 1/4 turn to make sure its screwed on. I certainly want to be retired long before then :001_smile:

Some new lads need a break and an opportunity, not older tree surgeons getting annoyed that someone new is in the area...

totaly agree, but the young lads need to appreciate that you cant come along all wet behind the ears and demand top rates!