Ash dieback fungus

baz

Believing that any restrictions on transportation/import/handling of Ash timber will prevent the disease spreading and causing country-wide die-back of Ash trees in the UK is naïve. It may delay the spread of the disease, but it will spread regardless of any action taken.

Mind you, I believe some resistant specimens will survive, and form the base of a new population of (resistant) ash trees in the distant future. These diseases are (also) just part of nature's way of ensuring evolution.

I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I'm afraid evidence (from Elm disease, and from Continental Europe) has proven me right.

Indeed..there as been and always will be an arms race between living things and pathogens!

It,s called evolution, natural progression or whatever you want to call it.

I personally hope they don't waste billions of pounds of taxpayers money trying to shove water back uphill. Just leave it be and let nature get on with it.

It,s peeing it down here today.....another part of nature we can't control :001_smile:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed..there as been and always will be an arms race between living things and pathogens!

It,s called evolution, natural progression or whatever you want to call it.

I personally hope they don't waste billions of pounds of taxpayers money trying to shove water back uphill. Just leave it be and let nature get on with it.

:congrats::congrats:

skyhuck correct its not mature trees. ie my comment on all an sundry.Keep forgetting that its a forum where you have to teach granny to suck eggs. I would have thought that all of us on here have an interest in this subject and would read up from the fc websites etc for there own knowledge and also for the benefit of customers.

All the information is out there at a click of a button and from the horses mouth

Believing that any restrictions on transportation/import/handling of Ash timber will prevent the disease spreading and causing country-wide die-back of Ash trees in the UK is naïve. It may delay the spread of the disease, but it will spread regardless of any action taken.

Mind you, I believe some resistant specimens will survive, and form the base of a new population of (resistant) ash trees in the distant future. These diseases are (also) just part of nature's way of ensuring evolution.

I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I'm afraid evidence (from Elm disease, and from Continental Europe) has proven me right.

Quite.

And people seem to be realising this at last. If anything, speeding up the spread will help identify the ~2% of resistant trees.

with regards to TPO's and burning on site.

Does anyone think its worth a challange to tackle the council's to fell now any domestic ash tree's that are an eyesore, too big for the space or just ill managed - prior to the die-back?

so that burning on site is not an issue.

with regards to TPO's and burning on site.

Does anyone think its worth a challange to tackle the council's to fell now any domestic ash tree's that are an eyesore, too big for the space or just ill managed - prior to the die-back?

so that burning on site is not an issue.

No - pre-emptive felling is not going to be helpful.

1 - we won't discover the resistant strains if we fell trees now.

2 - once the pathogen is widespread and firmly entrenched there will be no need for movement restrictions anyway.

With you on that sentiment bud . Brighton seems to have kept out the dutch elm . All around still suffer .

i recently saw an avenue of mature elm trees in bridlington. i think they were jersey/guernsey elms.

i wonder if its something to do with the seaside/salt air and the elm bark beetles. seems a bit of a coincidence.

apparently some in scarborough as well....:thumbup:

No - pre-emptive felling is not going to be helpful.

1 - we won't discover the resistant strains if we fell trees now.

2 - once the pathogen is widespread and firmly entrenched there will be no need for movement restrictions anyway.

i'm only thinking of domestic ash trees that are a far to big for the area and have tpo's, get them gone while the times ripe.