the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

22 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

Evening gents, apologies for late reply to Flailbot questions.  
  This was a 60HA regen site on top of peatland that’s due restoration work next year.  The foresters and land managers had never seen a Flailbot working so we’re curious to see if 1 man could do it all with this machine.  The answer was very obviously no upon the site visit.  But while I was there why not have a demo anyway.  Where I was parked was on the road at a big turning area so as you can imagine the ground either side of the road was rocky and like the moon with 10 years of regen!  So I picked the biggest trees I felt were within the machines capabilities growing in the worst bits.  The video doesn’t show how uneven the ground was.  Anyhoo, after 10 minutes I put the machine back in the trailer and the powers above got a mental picture of what the machine can do, these guys manage millions of HA of land and there parting words were ‘ very impressed ‘ within 5 days I had a call to ask to quote the rd verges to that site.  So a worthwhile visit and the start of hopefully a new adventure. 

Glad its finding work. Are you replacing the Avant with something larger?

17 minutes ago, doobin said:

Glad its finding work. Are you replacing the Avant with something larger?

Not replacing the Avant, there’s now 3 in my network I can get anytime within a 30 minute radius with operators.  Tbh my back can’t take the bouncing about, I can only manage about 3-4 hours on the digger now!  So walking and Flailbotting it is.  

• Like 1

On 06/09/2023 at 19:26, Stephen Blair said:

Not replacing the Avant, there’s now 3 in my network I can get anytime within a 30 minute radius with operators.  Tbh my back can’t take the bouncing about, I can only manage about 3-4 hours on the digger now!  So walking and Flailbotting it is.  

I  used to get a lot of back pain from operating mini digger until one day I put the safety belt on because I was moving fairly big lumps and getting bounced around a lot.(I suppose I should always have worn anyway)

I find a huge difference and now wear it fairly snugly all the time, bit of a pain if I’m on and off a lot but beats having a sore back.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, s o c said:

I  used to get a lot of back pain from operating mini digger until one day I put the safety belt on because I was moving fairly big lumps and getting bounced around a lot.(I suppose I should always have worn anyway)

I find a huge difference and now wear it fairly snugly all the time, bit of a pain if I’m on and off a lot but beats having a sore back.

I agree the belt helps but I’ve too many years of abuse working for it to be a simple fix. 

1 hour ago, s o c said:

Oh you mean seat belt. Sometimes I wear a weightlifters belt which keeps pressure on the lower back. It's no substitute for using your back carefully but does help a bit. My back isn't great, regular chiropractor trips help as do pilate style exercises and good posture. TBh anything over 20kg and I get the machine to lift it if poss- try and preserve what I have...

1 hour ago, s o c said:

I love the seatbelt on a digger. Comfortable like you say and way more productive on energetic work like wrestling stumps out.

10 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

Bit more of the same from the site up Yarrow Valley, there all week felling Ash and really enjoying it.

DSC_0458.thumb.JPG.7bf4fb87c7c74188c19bf44fb9ce7814.JPG

DSC_0459.thumb.JPG.a74b651810d72bd73540c35799821a9e.JPG

DSC_0461.thumb.JPG.780255070b167acc85abac2e2d66c08b.JPG

DSC_0464.thumb.JPG.d66e09574fd2aeb0ce86472f6437ce53.JPG

DSC_0467.thumb.JPG.3c5d0e05211c4a120c91f15af0412786.JPG

DSC_0470.thumb.JPG.c7c96b7182bc2741a11a04bb1c45c5c9.JPG

Was really humid with the heat today so a team dip of the skinny variety in St Mary's Loch on way back to base was called for!

DSC_0472.thumb.JPG.6ef78dff56c872c359f728f293a90dc9.JPG

That winch isn’t listening to any excuses.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

That winch isn’t listening to any excuses.

No it's a scary bit of kit. More a forestry winch really, not ideal for what we're using it for but we don't need it out very often. It's so quick and aggressive it's difficult to get tension on before a pull but once you start pulling in anger it's over pretty quickly.

• Like 2