the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

2 hours ago, Khriss said:

And dec ent felling cut aswell. K

It wasn't great to be honest. I've only felled 3 or 4 trees before, and  they weren't anything like this big. This was 40"+ at the stump, so needed to be cut from both sides. Gob cuts needed some tidying up, back cut wasn't perfect.

It landed where we wanted it though, more practice in time.

• Like 2

Nice dead willow as a warm up, the other willow has a wood pecker hole about 2mtrs below the ideal anchor and a massive span over a fence and small young oaks got the easy stuff in the afternoon needed my rigging kit to finish up so will be done tomorrow. 

Really nice firm to climb for. 

IMG_20201210_094821_DRO.thumb.jpg.97de65898293c60174b1b2adc2514c60.jpgIMG_20201210_143534_DRO.thumb.jpg.c92ddb57bc74312ff0f2139ad68a5981.jpgIMG_20201210_115150_DRO.thumb.jpg.e4f32c5ceaa8cb564ecc115f9b02cb44.jpg

• Like 2

First one, i like the helical form as you said. Wood looks good. Will it get milled?

Well if @bigbeech turns up tomorrow It’ll be going on his trailer to be milled. [emoji106]

That log is 4.7 metres long. 3 ft across at the felling cut.

Nearly all the trees are spec’d that they can be left at 5/6 metres. That one is just over 5 ft across at the base so as nice as that bit left standing is it’s too much effort to get out of the woods unless someone makes a reasonably strong offer.

First one, i like the helical form as you said. Wood looks good. Will it get milled?

And yes , I was pleased the wood was so nice as the top 10 metres of the tree was rotten and hollow. Fair old bit of hart wood.
I cut some burrs out of some of the rubbish to see if any turners are interested.

12 minutes ago, lux said:

Well if @bigbeech turns up tomorrow It’ll be going on his trailer to be milled. emoji106.png

That log is 4.7 metres long. 3 ft across at the felling cut.

Nearly all the trees are spec’d that they can be left at 5/6 metres. That one is just over 5 ft across at the base so as nice as that bit left standing is it’s too much effort to get out of the woods unless someone makes a reasonably strong offer.

Good to see it'll get used. Bet you'll get some lovely timber out of it.

I thought you'd taken it down to the stump, that remaining section must be huge if it's 5' across.

6 minutes ago, lux said:

I cut some burrs out of some of the rubbish to see if any turners are interested.

How big are the bits and how much do you want for some?