the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

20 minutes ago, htb said:

Not a good sight to see Joe

Not at all, but its hard to be sympathetic. It's unlikely that whoever installed it told them it wouldn't need further monitoring. The installation points were questionable though. 

16 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

You certain it’s ten years? Looks like more to me.

The owner reckoned on 9/10 years. The date of manufacture was 2006 so that figures. The worst stem was supporting a helluva weight which could explain why its been drawn in so far. 

1 hour ago, Joe Newton said:

Not at all, but its hard to be sympathetic. It's unlikely that whoever installed it told them it wouldn't need further monitoring. The installation points were questionable though. 

You'd be surprised, couple of years ago i rebraced and reduced an oak that had had cobra installed 25 years previously, those who installed it told the customer it had a 25 year life span so he hadn't done anything except mark when it needed replacing 25 years later! 

32 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

You'd be surprised, couple of years ago i rebraced and reduced an oak that had had cobra installed 25 years previously, those who installed it told the customer it had a 25 year life span so he hadn't done anything except mark when it needed replacing 25 years later! 

Haha Christ. You would have thought bi annual inspection intervals would make as much sense for a business as it would for the tree!

• Like 2

IMG-20180831-WA0000.jpegJust used my aluminium access tower to top a cypress hedge, some of the stems were 3-4 inches thick as it hadn't been done for a few years. Very "easy" (relatively) working from the tower, if ground conditions allow. Did most of the work with a €150 Lidl polesaw, first time it's been used. The motor was fantastic, easy starts, no problems, vibes not bad. The saw head gave trouble, being juddery in the cut (though smooth with back bar cuts, strangely) the oil cap cracked and leaked, requiring reinforcement with fiberglass resin, the plastic cover worked loose once, the chain threw once, and the tensioner mechanism needed minding. Bit of a headache really, but for the price I was happy. If this thing could be modified to take a pro saw head it would be dynamite.

Edited by Haironyourchest
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bigtreedon said:
25 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:
Decent oak and ash over a road/power line. No action shots I’m afraid. 

Only paused to get the phone out when it was all on the floor.
9FE2471B-351B-4A10-8920-CC9A37CA7D53.thumb.jpeg.0ac2efc3b5bed12e9a01ddb64e14707f.jpeg
76A7D795-6716-4077-9CCD-048DA83E33F0.thumb.jpeg.e8d98b3c63e54100714871cc0df0815e.jpeg
C0BFE894-3C67-4206-B54F-7CB273EC2EFE.thumb.jpeg.92a0aa441d201df097a89da0c9cb3aee.jpeg

Read more  

Does the timber wagon have a solid flaw on back or bolsters Mick?

Solid floor Don, not mine, a local guy comes and gets my big stuff, the deal is he gets it free but he has to come on time, on the day and no moaning about access!

• Like 2