Imported kiln dried logs - does anyone actualy buy them?

ash_smith123

By importing products, we create jobs in developing countries, who improve their standard of living and therefore can adopt new technologies which over time will reduce their own environmental impact. We need to think on a global level, not a local.

You reckon that China has reduced its enviromental impact by producing for us. How about the improved standard of living for the poor sods in killed in that collapsed clothing factory so we can have cheap disposable clothes.

China has benefited greatly and it would be tough to argue that their standard of living hasn't improved - it obviously has by a massive amount.

You see, as countries develop, the population becomes more educated which slows population growth, and in some cases decline (eg Japan). This in itself reduces the environmental impact. Couples no longer have to produce 5 children to go out and herd the sheep and knit the village clothing, in order to make a living and put food on the table.

I would argue that if the West had started trading with China 50 years ago on todays scale, their population would be half, probably far less.

Think global, my friend. It's the only way.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your outlook is very bleak...i'm not surprised you have run for the hills (are you in the hills there in your pic?).

The solutions will revolve around improvements in technology for things like renewable energy production and efficient modes of transport - including shipping, electric vehicles etc. Guess where the engineers live that develop this technology? In cities. Where? All over the world. How do they share their information - via the internet. Where does the internet come from...engineers working for corporations working in cities....get where I am going with this?

The problems will only be solved quickly if globalization is a key part of it.

By importing products, we create jobs in developing countries, who improve their standard of living and therefore can adopt new technologies which over time will reduce their own environmental impact. We need to think on a global level, not a local.

So what you suggest then is essentially an immunisation programme.

Use the global corporations to cure the ills of the planet?

I'm sure old Ted Jenner would be proud of your thinking................................................................................................Or perhaps not.

Although Daniel has a small point on some areas, to then suggest that using filthy fuel oil in unregulated container ships to bring in timber cut in a non-renewable way in third world countries to fuel his pretty stove, blows it all out of the water. Yes many of our habits are not very planet friendly but kiln dried tropical woods via container ships then long road transport, basically lines up all the lemons and would be hard to invent as a ridiculous environmentalist joke.

Daniel I think we will have to agree to disagree, we are miles apart in our outlooks. I dont say all new technologies are bad but we need to look to the long term. I know of one Biomass heating system running flat out at the moment to maximise the subsidies they can get (good for their pocket), all the house windows are open and fans are blowing the heat outside. Are these the advances we have to adopt to move forward to improve our lot and save the plannet, I think not. I know it could be argued that this a flawed political decision but is this the future, god help us

Seems you've turned up a web cul de sac and found you're in the wrong place here Daniel Matthews.

Surely it's a bit too sweaty and dusty here for your slick global vision, where Chinese peasants are grateful for your patronage and insanely happy Malaysians bask in your waste heaps, gaily scavenging from your detritus.

You wont win a lot of arb friends by promoting kiln-dried logs from Turkmenistan / wherever. You sound very friendly while you're trying wipe the floor with Muttley.

I was told never to trust a grinning cat.

"Just saying"

Seems you've turned up a web cul de sac and found you're in the wrong place here Daniel Matthews.

Surely it's a bit too sweaty and dusty here for your slick global vision, where Chinese peasants are grateful for your patronage and insanely happy Malaysians bask in your waste heaps, gaily scavenging from your detritus.

You wont win a lot of arb friends by promoting kiln-dried logs from Turkmenistan / wherever. You sound very friendly while you're trying wipe the floor with Muttley.

"Just saying"

Well said

"Just saying"

Most articulate . Agree also !

For me, it's a no brainer....kiln dried logs are far superior to seasoned logs and a pleasure to burn...and for around the same price. I don't really buy the environmental argument either since most imported wood comes in by container ship which has a fairly low carbon footprint....eg vs hauling long distances via road all across the UK which a lot of the UK-sourced wood suppliers have to do anyway and is no better IMO

I've purchased from The Luxury Wood Company a few times now and been thoroughly impressed. I haven't found anyone cheaper on the web yet and they seem to be the best value for money:

www.luxurywood.co.uk

Check them out. HTH :thumbup:

20% mc is 20% mc whether its been air dried or through a kiln the difference certainly round here is my 1m3 is £125 and the kiln dried is £160, I use a pretty high end moisture meter and my logs are usually 5% lower mc then the kiln dried until you get into mid winter then they all measure the same.

20% mc is 20% mc whether its been air dried or through a kiln the difference certainly round here is my 1m3 is £125 and the kiln dried is £160, I use a pretty high end moisture meter and my logs are usually 5% lower mc then the kiln dried until you get into mid winter then they all measure the same.

Exactly !

And if we were being environmentally friendly then we'd buy your logs in preference because they are renewable (generally) and have travelled a very small distance. So paying £160 for local logs even if kiln dried were cheaper at £125 would be the kind to the planet thing to do. Deforestation of third world countries is a serious worldwide issue.