advice on big saws

Tom Hall

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked out the specs and the 372 will take 28 inch bar. It is also significantly lighter than the 390 and 395. Is the disadvantage of additional weight outweighed by the power gained with the bigger 390?

i wouldnt want to run a 28 inch bar on a 372xp... that is 390-395 territory unless its been spud tunned or petemate primed.

thank you all for your help. i honestly thought the stihl 660 would come out on top, but i will follow your wise leadership and invest in a husky, just need to go and try them, will dealers allow you to take one out for a test drive so to speak, i wouldn't buy a car even if it was only £500 without taking it for a thorough test drive and as these saws are the thick end of £1000 i want to try before i buy???? is this permitted?

thank you all for your help. i honestly thought the stihl 660 would come out on top, but i will follow your wise leadership and invest in a husky, just need to go and try them, will dealers allow you to take one out for a test drive so to speak, i wouldn't buy a car even if it was only £500 without taking it for a thorough test drive and as these saws are the thick end of £1000 i want to try before i buy???? is this permitted?

The 660 is a good strong saw,but my money is on the new husky range,they are very impressive in build & performance.

(Now I'm going to have to duck)!:biggrin:

I have a Husky 390 and have to say like it a lot... I wouldn't put longer than a 28" bar on it but it's a nice saw to start and use.

The 880 and 3120 are completely different beasts and as said better for milling work very large cross cutting - you never really look forward to taking them out but for longer bars than 36" they are really the only option.

:biggrin:

I recommend the husqvarna 576xp autotune , mine runs with a 24" bar with a full chisel chain, and it loves big stuff, lots of torque to pull the bar too !

If I needed a larger saw if personally go for a husky 395 over the ms660, I used both machines with the same size bar within 2mins of each other on the same stem I was ringing up, and I found the husky faster cutting and slightly more economical on fuel .

Steve