Heating Oil in a chipper?

roseyweb

The fuel quality should have no direct connection to a failed turbo, unless EGT were perhaps substantially elevated,(would running on JP8/kero do that ?) or sufficient fuel wash past the rings so as to dilute the lube oil.

Most probably "neglect, misuse or damage":laugh1:

cheers

m

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm!

Bollocks:001_tt2:

I ran our Woster Bosch for a number of years on red diesel.

One fuel tank supplied both the tractor and the heating (but NOT the car btw)

Changed jets (smaller since higher calorific value in 35 sec oil) and re-set the pressure (higher for better atomisation)

But overhall I used a lower BTU output to better match my heating systems demand.

Simples, honest.

It was all in the wee booklet that come with the boiler.

Boiler ran 100% fine, mind when I switched her back to Kero (28 sec) her was plumb bogging internally, soot & sulphur from what I recall.

Said boiler still running faultless since 1995 when I/me/mysel installed her.

Bloody heavy to move on ones own I do recall, took a chunk out o the patio door frame when I slid it out o the tractor link-box.

Been independantly serviced once about 5 years ago.

The higher per litre price used to be off-set by the higher per litre calorific value, 35 or 40 years ago it was not uncommon to run them thar new-fangled oil boilers on red diesel. ( VAT back anyone?)

I believe this is no longer the case.

well in the agricultural community leastwise.

Edited by difflock

Erm!

Bollocks:001_tt2:

I ran our Woster Bosch for a number of years on red diesel.

One fuel tank supplied both the tractor and the heating (but NOT the car btw)

Changed jets (smaller since higher calorific value in 35 sec oil) and re-set the pressure (higher for better atomisation)

But overhall I used a lower BTU output to better match my heating systems demand.

Simples, honest.

It was all in the wee booklet that come with the boiler.

Boiler ran 100% fine, mind when I switched her back to Kero (28 sec) her was plumb bogging internally, soot & sulphur from what I recall.

Said boiler still running faultless since 1995 when I/me/mysel installed her.

Bloody heavy to move on ones own I do recall, took a chunk out o the patio door frame when I slid it out o the tractor link-box.

Been independantly serviced once about 5 years ago.

He didn't say anything about changing jets or flow rates and all that nonsense. :001_tt2::laugh1:

Sniff!

Well bloody obviously one would:lol:

To a farmers Son leastwise.

PS

Actually actually :blushing:it will still be fine as I ran ours for a wheen o weeks (or months) on the kero settings/jetting before I could be arsed to make the changes:001_rolleyes:

Said 17 year old boiler is still sitting on the temporary broken hyd pressed flags her was set on temp, just to get moved in.

Should i post a photo?

If it aint broke....why fix it:lol:

The fuel quality should have no direct connection to a failed turbo, unless EGT were perhaps substantially elevated,(would running on JP8/kero do that ?) or sufficient fuel wash past the rings so as to dilute the lube oil.

Most probably "neglect, misuse or damage":laugh1:

cheers

m

It's interesting you should say that - the Defender was new when we sent it out here and it's never really been faster than 40kmh - always driving arouynd in 2nd or maybe 3rd.

We were told to expect trouble as running it at such (lack of) load meant that the rings wouldn't seal properly and we'd end up polishing the honing off the inside of the cylinders, hence we'd end up with a worsening cycle of wear inside the combustion chambers. Maybe it is fuel wash as you suggest.

To be honest it's been really well looked after and (honestly) not abused - regular weekly inspection and serviced every three months. Must be doing less than 3000km between services as we only run it around camp.

I know this isn't really relavent to the thread (sorry!) but it's really had me scratching my head how a brand new engine can have a turbo fail at such a low mileage...

• 2 weeks later...