Might have found a load of stolen saws... PLEASE read...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:001_tongue:= Take the mickey, naaa naaa,

Smiles are very powerfull items on a forum best not to use tham at all until you understand what they mean and you know a few people on a forum.

Using the wrong one can change a sentance into meaning something quiet different.

Very dangerous things, but used properly can be very entertaining:001_cool:

This may be a good time to make folk aware of http://www.immobilise.com It is in effect the national Police register of identifiable property. For free you could register every identifiable bit of kit you've got. Access to those identifiers can then be made by members, crime investigating agencies and those involved in trying to reunite owners with their property such as TfL Lost (?Found) Property.

The disappointing bit is that I've just had a butchers at two saws and a hedgetrimmer in my own garage to find the serial numbers. A Stihl saw and a Husky saw had them on stuck on pieces of paper and the Stihl hedgetrimmer had it engraved into the plastic body!

Come on manufacturers; you're obviously not serious about helping your customers keep their gear once they've spent their hard earned cash on you - are you? How many cars have the VIN number on a sticky piece of paper on the bodywork?! Engraved VIN numbers (in metal), that's what's needed.

Once that bridge is crossed approaches could be made to the insurance industry for discounts for Immobilise members.

For now though it looks like the chances of proving a piece of kit stolen is nigh on impossible, the serial number being about the only way it could be done. The only other way I can see you'd ever prove that it's YOUR saw that the toerag has 'innocently' bought is if you've got photos of identifying features (like the triangle taken out of my 230 bottom handle by my hedgetrimmer!)

Thoughts...? Am I just being naive? (Probably but we can all live in hope).

Steve; I hope I haven't breached your 'no links' policy here - my intentions are good!

i know it dosent stop the light fingered beggers stealing your gear, but would it not be advisable to engrave all your gear?

more chance of getting it back if it appears on these auction sites..

just a thought!!!!!

all mines been done

Yes - you're right. And I doubt such stuff would appear on those sites because of the damage done removing the etching. Matey would have to sell via the dodgy pub/car boot instead.

What you do will go a long way to preventing theft in the first place - the ideal situation. But it would good too if the kit had stamped-in 'chassis nos.' so stuff could be identified later when the prevention aspect had failed. Both (prevention and later ID) are easily possible.

Good to see so many of you taking steps yourselves. Someone has to!

• 11 months later...

On nepias point re: an ID plate, manufacturers couldnt give 2 hoots as to whether your kit is stolen and not recovered, a sale is a sale. You only have to read this forum to get an idea of the % of thefts in this country. How many saws are actually worn up before they are replaced, I doubt that many, but many more are stolen. If its a big market for thieves, then surely its a big market for the manufacturer and the retailers. I feel the end-user is very much on their own, and shall be for the foreseeable future.

if you see saws that you think have been stolen from a member then pm the member. i think its perfectly clear why its not ok to post links to items and suggesting that they are stolen, and even if thats not how the thread starts it will inevitably go down that path.

try to look at it from my angle as the owner of this site. it would be like you advertising that you thought someone might be selling stolen goods and sticking a big poster up on your front door.

crikey i know arbs have thick skin but flippin eck, the guy says NO, whats the big deal, get your own site if you want to get into that.

pm's like the others say.

strewth, how many pages devoted to this why debate? and from what i can tell someone made a dig about a stolen mog. Ditto to other comments regarding that issue.:thumbdown: