Where were you ?

David Humphries

Had I known that, I,d have made a special effort Dave :biggrin:

I know you would have Dean, I'd expect nothing less :biggrin:

I asked Graeme last night, how long do you see yourself still climbing at the coal face?

"until the day comes when I wake up in the morning and don't get that feeling of desire to be up in the trees anymore.

I don't see that happening anytime soon"

The man is truly an inspirational legend :thumbup1:

IMG_0059.JPG.2aff4b6e9640f75b2f7a9f86bc677149.JPG

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never knew anything about it, I would of been there if I knew Graeme was doing a talk!!

He is our God!

Why was this done 1 week before the APF?

Surely it would of made sense to have him in the main Arena!

20 thousand cutters sitting like little kids in awe of him!

:thumbup1:

Last years conference was at (I think) Warwick, and the year before that it was hosted at Manchester University.

Surely that's north enough ?

David, if you think Warwick is "Northern enough", then you really need to get out of London village more. :001_tt2: It's much closer to London, than it is to Manchester or York or Newcastle or Glasgow or Aberdeen....... :sneaky2:

Hosted in Manchester two yrs ago, blimey.... I'll just go and warm up the Tardis. :001_tt2:

Just out of interest in that last two years how many arb events have been organised in and around London & the Home Counties, and how many events were held anywhere further north than Birmingham.

David, if you think Warwick is "Northern enough", then you really need to get out of London village more. :001_tt2: It's much closer to London, than it is to Manchester or York or Newcastle or Glasgow or Aberdeen....... :sneaky2:

Hosted in Manchester two yrs ago, blimey.... I'll just go and warm up the Tardis. :001_tt2:

Just out of interest in that last two years how many arb events have been organised in and around London & the Home Counties, and how many events were held anywhere further north than Birmingham.

I was trying to make the point that conference moves around, and is not southeast-centric.

The last part of your post will need to be addressed by AA techie, who I hope will find this thread when suitably recovered from what was probably a very tiring 3/4 days.

I was trying to make the point that conference moves around, and is not southeast-centric.

The last part of your post will need to be addressed by AA techie, who I hope will find this thread when suitably recovered from what was probably a very tiring 3/4 days.

The odd foray up north dosent mean its not south centric.:lol:

Morning all, hope yer well.

Firstly THANK YOU David for starting the thread and thanks to all who've contributed...good stuff.

To answer a few comments:

Graham McMahon - curently in Italy for a few days then off to Scotland for a 'drive around' to inc. Isle of Skye and Fort William. A fantastic, very polite and unassuming guy, who apparently still loves getting up to go to work everyday...and I saw why (not sure about the 'Huntsman Spiders' tho!)

Conference Tues. Evening - it was possible to just attend for the BBQ and Graham's talk and costs were from £22. (In all honesty, said rather embarrasingly but I know I'm amongst friends :-), I didn't realise this was an option either and I'm real sorry for that and not bringing it to your attention...the 'Genghis Khan' treatment for me eh?)

Stuff 'up north' - as David pointed out the 2010 Conference was at Manchester and the Conference, in particular, is not a South-East'entric' event. Next years is Exeter and hopefully 2014 'up north'.

On the last point, and I know it was terrible weather that resulted in the cancellation (at a significant cost to the AA), but we did try to run the 'ARB FEST' in Leeds this year and of the 100 places we had available only about 40 sold and of that approx. 50% were Midlands / South / Wales based. So we did try and it wasn't to be.

Thanks again fer yer commnents n keep um rollin.

Cheers all..

Paul

Thanks for that Paul, it is difficult with the 'north' subject and shows/conferences. You know you have my support and attendance with ALL northern ones, its just not always possible to get 'darn sarf'.

Maybe we need bigger voices:lol:

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Thanks for that Paul, it is difficult with the 'north' subject and shows/conferences. You know you have my support and attendance with ALL northern ones, its just not always possible to get 'darn sarf'.

Maybe we need bigger voices:lol:

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Hi Rob, good to hear.

Maybe inputting to the Northern Branch, who I know are very keen to engage new members, may help in getting more stuff going on. I know a couple of the branches in particular are very, very active with stuff regularly happening and sometimes it is transferrable, i.e. rigging updates / bats / BS3998 / aerial rescue, and they usually do it on Sats at cost of between £30-£50.

Contact Jo Ryan ([email protected]) if you fancy getting stuff moving.

Thanks for your support...as always!

Paul