Draining diesel tank on valmet

Stephen Blair

I have something in the tank that's too big to be drawn out and is floating about the tank causing problems, the tank is part of the chassis.

We have found the drain plug but I want to know if there is another way into it for cleaning it out?

It's a 8100 on a 1995

Cheers guys

How did it get into the tank if its to big to go through the filler hole??

What is it??

As for cleaning out the tank, I drained tank on my mog and then used towels tied to the end of a drain rod to mop out and clean the inside of the tank. I removed the filler cap and fuel sender unit and worked through both holes.

There are tank cleaning machines with polishing filters. We have a home made one which is excellent. New they are about £1500. We stick ours in all our tanks and leave them for a few hours. Because they turn the fuel over several times they eventually grab everything. Sounds like you may have the algi plant growing in your tank may be worth getting some proper biocide aswell.

MDT had this with his Nuffield when some previous owner had put a foot long piece of wood in the tank, it was saturated so didnt float and it took us ages to work out what cut the fuel supply off. eventually we retrieved it with much fishing.

Is the tank steel? If not is the object steel? - Magnet. Or you could encase the magnet so it grabs object but doesnt set up home in your tank.

Will it go through the filler hole endways? Perhaps a piece of wire with loop on the end with a length of string with a slipknot loop tied to the loop at intervals with cotton.

Loop object with wire hoop. Twist wire for positive hold, pull string , cotton breaks, object lassoed. In the words of an ancient arbtalker "Simples"

Let us know how it goes Stevie.

MDT had this with his Nuffield when some previous owner had put a foot long piece of wood in the tank, it was saturated so didnt float and it took us ages to work out what cut the fuel supply off. eventually we retrieved it with much fishing.

Is the tank steel? If not is the object steel? - Magnet. Or you could encase the magnet so it grabs object but doesnt set up home in your tank.

Will it go through the filler hole endways? Perhaps a piece of wire with loop on the end with a length of string with a slipknot loop tied to the loop at intervals with cotton.

Loop object with wire hoop. Twist wire for positive hold, pull string , cotton breaks, object lassoed. In the words of an ancient arbtalker "Simples"

Let us know how it goes Stevie.

Nuffield Nuffield, did somebody mention a mighty Nuffield ?

Sent from my Galaxy arse using tupping talk.

Check ALL the simple things first.

Huck the debris won't go through the fuel line is what I meant.

My mate came down with his industrial fuel cleaning gizmos, and sucked it out best he could,mthe tank is in 2 halfs due to the drive shaft running through the centre. The inspection hatch bolts are solid so will see if that's done the trick, if not he will cut a hole in the side of the chassis and then patch it.

Huck the debris won't go through the fuel line is what I meant.

My mate came down with his industrial fuel cleaning gizmos, and sucked it out best he could,mthe tank is in 2 halfs due to the drive shaft running through the centre. The inspection hatch bolts are solid so will see if that's done the trick, if not he will cut a hole in the side of the chassis and then patch it.

I have a bob cat which was used on a pig farm for 3 years when new. After about 4 months the brass fuel pick up I think picks up straw particles which we cant seem to drain out. To get fuel tnk out is eng out job. We use an air line to blow back and clear pick up away it goes for several months. I would snap or grind bolts off inspection cover then drill and retap threads.

Nuffield Nuffield, did somebody mention a mighty Nuffield ?

Sent from my Galaxy arse using tupping talk.

Check ALL the simple things first.

This Nuffy was mighty it was a 1040 but with a 6 cylinder bmc truck engine in. It was a dragster. Did 33mph intimidated the local hunt with its mighty roar, front end slid on roundabouts. Was fun getting to top speed and cars thinking I will overtake that old relic.

We learnt alot about fuel systems and various staring techniques from that beast.

Park it on the side of the road for a night and the men in a white transit will come along and drain it for you:mad1:.

Did know someone how had a fuel problem on a old Major turned out someone put a condom in the tank:confused1:

New thread coming up strangest thing found in a fuel tank:thumbup:.

Ahhh that's brought some memory's back goat, one correction though it was a 10/60. A beast it was and wish still had it even though a troublesome beast it was. The fuel system was practically rebuilt! The look on people's faces was brilliant and also how it would not comply with today's emission regs, boy did she smoke when tramping on! Believe the wood in the tank was for dipping to see how much in but obviously the muppet dropped it in at some point.