chainsaw sawhorse

Charlieh

I used to work on with wooden sawhorses,but watching my brother inlaw 1 day he puts 2 lengths on the ground and cuts lengths on top of them,i can see his idea no lifting on and off the sawhorse and like myself not catching it all the time with the saw

So now i use his method much easier and less strain on the back and it does not matter how many grooves you put in the lengths you are cutting on as they will be to cut anyways and can be very easily replaced.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one of the ones by Portek (i think that's who made them) and I persisted with it for about half an hour - it went straight on ebay and was quickly forgotten about.

I have a Portek one which works fine. I use a small electric saw with it and find it really safe and quick for small lengths up to about 5'. I keep the saw permenantly attached as its a fiddle to set up

ive got a portek one. Its run with the 290 and the 026 for a year or so now and ive no problems with it at all. it makes the job incredibly quick and easy, not to mention safe! have cut getting on for 7 tonnes of firewood with it this year and its still sturdy as ever. of course by its nature it has a maximum size it can deal with, but I really cant complain, and i give all my kit a reasonable amount of stick.

actually, the increase of safety is debatable. the saw being captive is a plus, the ability to run the whole operation one handed and tend the log on the horse with the other, requires some common sense

I have the portek sawhorse and cant fault it for the narrow diameter timber. Of course it helps if the timber has been dressed properly prior to logging as annoying twigs/stubs get in the way. Very safe and stable way of logging, esp if you want accurate length logs.

Portek is good with exactly the right size of timber fed into it. Logs can still jump around a bit, and lengths need to be pretty straight.

Bit of a pain when you need to refuel.

If there's two of you, it can be incredibly quick. And cheap if you get your wife to feed it....

If there's two of you, it can be incredibly quick. And cheap if you get your wife to feed it....

was considering letting the wife use one like the portek :scared1: whilst i deal with the bigger stuff on the deck, speed the operation up, had a look at the portek yesterday and its nothing like the plans shown online, has a quick saw removal feature now with a big plastic handle mounted on the tightening nut so you dont need to keep tightening it with a spanner, seems a well made unit, will see how this afternoon go's, been on the phone all morning and fancy doing some logs also just had an order for two trailer loads of logs so may get one on the way home,

most my timber for it will be 3"-12" diameter and dead straight delimbed at the trunk so feeding it through the tray im hoping should be ok, im just getting fed up of either using the big saw (not ideal if it snatchs it) on small timber or having to bend over to make lots of cuts,