The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

Oh I've owned land rovers most my life. The only car I had that wasn't a landy and that was an Alfa Romeo, never again.

Done the series thing, done the defender Thing now I've got a discovery. Seven seats so perfect for having 9 kids.

Just Wounderd if the clunk was normal as I know the gearboxes can play up. But I did do a good thing and make sure I got one with the 200tdi engine and not the 300.

The engines are renowned for being problematic. They fail, the external parts, alt, starter, etc are substandard for land rover. The tensioner on the timing belt is renowned to fail, causing major engine damage. And the standard glow plugs fail.

Everyone a have talked to said steal clear of the 300tdi if possible.

I have been running 300s for years and have yet to experience any of the above. The early 300s difered very little from the 200.

The rumours about timing belt problems are spread by people who ought to have changed them and are embarrassed about it so blame the engine.

If the belt does fail the worse it gets is a couple of bent push rods, you would be unlucky if it were any worse, in either case it's an easy fix compared to some engines with snapped timing belts.

Edited by treequip
Ipadfatfingers

I just done my research before I looked at buying one so i went on what was being said by other people it's not my words about what goes wrong with them, just done a simple search on google as I do before I buy any vehicle.

And going on what has been found I went for the 200tdi. And I like it. Pulls like a train and to be honest is only happy when it has a ton on the back.

Maybe people are wrong about the engines but there was too much being said about them to put it into a negative for me to buy one. And if I did and it went wrong I would not be able to replace the engine or parts quickly enough to warrant buying one.

Oh I've owned land rovers most my life. The only car I had that wasn't a landy and that was an Alfa Romeo, never again.

Done the series thing, done the defender Thing now I've got a discovery. Seven seats so perfect for having 9 kids.

Just Wounderd if the clunk was normal as I know the gearboxes can play up. But I did do a good thing and make sure I got one with the 200tdi engine and not the 300.

How is 7 seats perfect for 9 children?????:confused1:

Coz two are old enough that they have moved out so I get enough space. Plus I'm not buying a minibus just to go out.......

Some don't want to come out so I don't need to seat loads but I like to have the option that I can take most of the family for days out. Plus a 4x4 is perfect as it suit my job and family life.

Rich2484 'Just Wounderd if the clunk was normal'

check your propeller shafts as they can clunk on take off or under power if shot

I've had a look at them as I had this with a series. Had a good feel and tried to move them but I know this not always prove anything so when it stops raining and I get five mins I will unbolt them and check.

Another thing I've found is it won't stay in diff lock, have to hold the lever in position. The light comes on and I can hear the diffs lock just the lever won't stay still when I lift the clutch.

Doesn't really bother me as I haven't used it yet and probably won't, been out off road on some really rough tracks with deeps holes and she hasn't got stuck yet.

She has had a two inch lift and got some rough tyres on. I just need to get a light bar for the top and maybe a snorkel. Waiting for some money to go into my PayPal. :thumbup: