The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

Another site you'll need no doubt too Discovery

The discoveries are a great introduction to LR's they'll go pretty much where a defender will but still are nice to drive - our V8 still stands in at the most miles in one day - chamonix to our house was around 950 miles and super comfy.

MOT ran out in May and it's been sat in the garden waiting for some welding - looks like it's going on ebay soon :thumbdown:

Darren- find out which little obscure landy garage all the beardy weirdos and people who 'work' their landies go to, and get a good relationship with them for servicing, it will stand you in very good stead. Get squeaks sorted while they are still squeaks, and they are generally cheap to repair then. Leave them too long and they can become espensive. If the head gasket goes, dont worry, you could do it yourself, they are VERY easy, and £800 plus vat sounds like an extortion racket to me. The 300 really is a pretty bombproof engine, ,mated to an excellent drivetrain. I regularly drive mine at 70 mph+ fully loaded, and did that most of the way home after buying that big vermeer chipper. Keep props greased, oil levels correct, breathers clear and regular oil changes and there isnt any reason you will have serious problems, unless you are driving like an animal. They do like to be worked though. Pussyfooting around trying to save a few pence on diesel will do more harm than good.:001_smile:

YOu have my number to if you ever want any help feel free to pick my (very small) brain:thumbup1:

Cheers Tom. I think I love my Landy even more now. I reckon upon getting a Haynes manual and then spending every bit of spare time I have tinkering and oiling and greasing. I have the tools but don't really know where to start.

When you say "keep props greased", I know what you mean but don't know how to do it.

Cheers Tom. I think I love my Landy even more now. I reckon upon getting a Haynes manual and then spending every bit of spare time I have tinkering and oiling and greasing. I have the tools but don't really know where to start.

When you say "keep props greased", I know what you mean but don't know how to do it.

Haynes manual is a must have book :) wouldnt have been without mine.

There will be grease nipples on the props, grease like you would grease chipper bearings etc...