The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

I miss the Landrover thing! The smell of a Landrover after a trip across the mud is very evocative. I've had a 109, 110 V8, 127 CrewCab, 130 Crewcab,130 Single cab (Ex LR Special Vehicles) with dropside body and a Range Rover LSE. I learnt to double de-clutch in the first Land Rover to be registered in Herefordshire on a farm that was part of the Eastnor Estate, it was used there for some 35 years before it got sold off in the mid '80s.

One of my crewcabs had a capstan winch on the front driven off of the crankshaft via a dog clutch which for some reason kept coming undone. I asked a mate if he could get one of his staff to tack weld the gland nut in place - he seamed it so I bet is was a bugger to rebuild that engine!

Works 59 plate landy, 9000 on the clock, front diff decided to explode, just what ya need on your last day before breaking up till new year. Can always rely on a landy to ruin your day. :thumbdown:

Had fun today though on my day off, bit of handbrake action. Proper piece of engineering. :thumbup:

Dan

So do you own a landy, or just abuse someone elses?:sneaky2:

Just been reading through this thread again....jap vs landy is sooooo fking boring, esp when the main thrust is reliabilty and rust. Anyone got anything original and interesting to comment on .........?

BTW 1mm of metal makes 1 inch of rust....

Wind your neck in pal.

I let a 101 slip past me, would of made a lovely work horse, not just for tree work though, could of gone shooting, ferreting etc a kinda jack of all trades and unique. It's just that in this day and age you'd expect stuff not to break as easy. As for the diff going, towing a 150 with half a load of chip isn't abuse, we drive a fair distance to work sites, the last thing we need is for something to break.

Ive taken alot of flak about my japanese skip, it's slow, it's crappy, it's old. It gets up peoples noses though because it works and in some cases outshines its newer counterparts. I wouldn't own a new land rover, id certainly own an older one :thumbup:

Dan

Here's my mate Robin' date=' a Zero tolerance shepherd! :001_tongue:[/quote']

Didn't realise you knew Robin - aint he a nutter?! Mate of mine used to go to school with him - apparently a normal crosser was never fast enough for him so he'd put big road bike engines in :thumbup:

Oh and that white TD5 apparently puts out some stupid power (over 200 BHP I've heard!)

Been on an Oak removal last couple of days, a mate of mine took away 2 massive loads of timber (each 4 tons in an Ifor 12x6ft highsided tipping trailer) in his 1998 300tdi Ex-AA 110 with over 175000K on the clock - gotta respect that

Like'em or not, it is undeniable that whatever you give them they take it. No matter what i do to mine i havent managed to bend the chassis yet....my hilux lasted about 2 months and i broke its back:thumbdown:.....just the beginning of a long line of probs with that thing, and its successor, never mind the hidous rust levels throughout it:thumbdown: