The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

At the risk of being shot down in flames again:blushing: i will try offering some advice. I know two garages who fit up utilities landrovers, and both fit rear diff lockers if they are only fitting one. They also fit heavy duty half shafts and drive flanges (although if you have a very late 300tdi or a td5 your half shafts will be a single unit with the drive flange attached) and if fitting front locker then uprated cv joints too. Better quality lockers should be supplied as a kit with hd shafts etc. ARB seem popular. The com[rrssprs can be fiddly and temperamental so i understand that maintenance is important.

Dont drive round bends with the diff locked unless you are on VErY sloppy ground as the risk is destruction of part of the drive train. Just what i have always been taught.:001_smile:

130 drive flange' half shafts are 2 piece items,grease the splines as they get no axle lube due to an oil seel,they rust and wear prematurely with no grease,giving transmition slack/stripped splines.

you could try Kam diffs or a detroit locker which works in a similar way to the arb locker i think.

The detroit locker is a limited slip diff (lsd) & ive heard that people have various problems with them.

The KAM diff is an electrically operated diff I believe, so you don't need the compressor.

Have a look at LR4x4.com there quite a bit of info about diff lockers on there.

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I thought that the Appreciation Society would appreciate this.

This is one of our Defenders having a rest after being put through it paces on a fairly gentle slope in the hands of a rough-handed ranger type.

Sad to note, that since this pic was taken, we no longer have LR's but get to drive Nissan Navara's on flat ground only>oops.jpg.e42a33a5ad17debbb159e1496a9aa217.jpg

All logo's and number removed to protect the guilty.:biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

As a new member on here ,you can add me .sorry to all the J*p drivers ,but its in my blood .

Really good forum if ever you need technical help .Or want a good laugh ,lots of weekends away get organized (includes a few beers !! )

Land Rover UK Forums

You will find me on there most evenings:thumbup1:

Cheers Mark

As a new member on here ,you can add me .sorry to all the J*p drivers ,but its in my blood .

Really good forum if ever you need technical help .Or want a good laugh ,lots of weekends away get organized (includes a few beers !! )

Land Rover UK Forums

You will find me on there most evenings:thumbup1:

Cheers Mark

One of the best ones......Im there too.....same signin too.

H