Council slapping tpo on tree's

treeracer25

The TO was underhand in my opinion and this type of action only encourages developers and tree professionals to be underhand too. If that happened to me I would lose all trust in them and as soon as the email came back as clear would start ring barking them if I couldn't fit them in quickly.

Unprofessional behaviour breeds unprofessional behaviour

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TO was underhand in my opinion and this type of action only encourages developers and tree professionals to be underhand too. If that happened to me I would lose all trust in them and as soon as the email came back as clear would start ring barking them if I couldn't fit them in quickly.

:congrats::congrats:

I wouldnt say that he is underhand, after all his job is to protect the trees worthy of protection, I think there should be more communication going on though.

It is important to develop a good relationship with your local tree officers, If you continually work to good standards and occasionally “tip off” the local arboricultural officer about a “good” tree that someone wants felling then you are much more likely to get work that you apply for granted. This obviously does rely on you only applying for reasonable work, but the tree officer will be more inclined to grant permission.

To Start ring barking trees as soon as you know they are not protected is NOT the way to go.

Its unprofessional and wont do you any favours long term.

Matt

I think you are barking up the wrong tree there Matt, consent should be granted or denied based on whether the work is appropriate and justified, not whether the contractor making the application is chummy with the TO.

As for "tipping off", that is the height of unprofessional behaviour. Imagine if you went to a architect to discuss plans for a listed building, and then found out they had gone behind your back to the planning department. Imagine any other professional (solicitor, doctor, etc) behaving in that way, they would be struck off. No wonder we can't get taken seriously as an industry.

My loyalty is to the client, the TO's job is to protect the tree.

Sigh.

And thus the familiar pattern of arbtalk reappears. An allegation is made, knees jerk loudly and epic reactionary pronouncements are made. In the hinterland of these brazen statements, a spinoff debate occurs of transitory relevance to the original post before dissipating impotently into further allegations. Meanwhile new posters will react in vain to the transparent implusivity of the knee jerking, perhaps with the fair intention of bringing some balance, and a new parallel confrontation occurs as positions harden despite their often unstable footings. After much grief and retrograde vitriol, the thread sinks beneath the murky depths of the servers.

And no-one will have learnt a damn thing. All the better to begin again another day.

Sigh.

And thus the familiar pattern of arbtalk reappears. An allegation is made, knees jerk loudly and epic reactionary pronouncements are made. In the hinterland of these brazen statements, a spinoff debate occurs of transitory relevance to the original post before dissipating impotently into further allegations. Meanwhile new posters will react in vain to the transparent implusivity of the knee jerking, perhaps with the fair intention of bringing some balance, and a new parallel confrontation occurs as positions harden despite their often unstable footings. After much grief and retrograde vitriol, the thread sinks beneath the murky depths of the servers.

And no-one will have learnt a damn thing. All the better to begin again another day.

Very philosophical and well analysed Tony, probably true also.

But thats all part of it isn't it. :001_smile:

regards Matt

I wouldnt say that he is underhand, after all his job is to protect the trees worthy of protection, I think there should be more communication going on though.

It is important to develop a good relationship with your local tree officers, If you continually work to good standards and occasionally “tip off” the local arboricultural officer about a “good” tree that someone wants felling then you are much more likely to get work that you apply for granted. This obviously does rely on you only applying for reasonable work, but the tree officer will be more inclined to grant permission.

To Start ring barking trees as soon as you know they are not protected is NOT the way to go.

Its unprofessional and wont do you any favours long term.

Matt

What plannet is that from?

Quite asside from the deliberate act of shooting youself in the foot financially, the only criteria for allowing or not allowing works are good arboricultural practice not whether you are a grass or not.

Then we have the confidentiality issue, the only way a contractor is likely to find out about a tree slated for removal is from the client, grass him up, spoil his plans and watch them come after the contractor to correct his losses and bad mouth the contractor to all and sundry, top idea there.:thumbdown:

Any authority that thinks it can ransome favour is morally bankrupt.

Pre emptive felling wouldn't happen if the authority didn't think it coud ransome favour and looking after your clients interest isn't unprofessional.