Portfolio / photo records

Tom10

I used to think photos were useful. But about 10 years ago, I became so experienced, and effective at communicating, that explanation alone erased the need for photos. At least for pruning and tree care.

For design, that may be different.

But for tree stuff, people became so convinced that I know my work, that the discussion became all that's needed.

Actually, I found that many after photos, look worse if a person can't be at the place in person to see the beneficial change, because before photos tend to have more greenery, and after photos less greenery.

So I have not shown a photo for pruning stuff in maybe 8 to 10 years.

Now ... the photos I am taking around with me, are to start promoting portraiture work, for the future. That's one skill or service where I think there's no way around using a portfolio. But I'm showing about half my customers the practice photos I'm taking networking with models locally, to prepare for paid photography work, like in 2013 or 2014.

Edited by mdvaden

I always have the camera with me, its only a nikon coolpix which is fairly tough and forgiving of being left in the van.

Since I only do around 25% tree surgery works and the rest is landscaping and gardening I tend to have a huge variety of images on a weekly basis. From planting schemes to lawn renovations to crown reductions to garden rebuilds to tree removals.

I facebook blog everything apart from the very mundane works like maintenance and weeding since they dont make very good images :laugh1:

Interesting to note that I have gain quite a lot of work through facebook, its a huge place online for essentially free advertising. I find the transparency of posting my work online brings assurance to those new to my services via the medium of photography. Lots of before and afters is key!

This week I removing a hedge and erecting a close board fence, so far day one images have had 100 views in less than 12 hours :thumbup1: The backoffice of the 'pages' on facebook is fantastic since they updated them, you can really see who is viewing and a break down of demographics, huge help to a growing company like myself to ensure marketing is working to the correct target markets.

It must be worthwhile, im nearly booked until the autumn and thats before autumn maintenance one offs and more tree works :thumbup:

It must be worthwhile, im nearly booked until the autumn and thats before autumn maintenance one offs and more tree works :thumbup:

A lot of companies I know find Facebook to be of no use. But others find it very useful.

But about the photos in particular, what you shared indicates that having photos is important, as long as they are used somewhere. Although the somewhere may vary.

As I wrote, I've had even better success not using photos out on estimates, than when I used to drag an album with me. But I have a ton of photos at my website, and most people are going to my site before they even call me. So that may the equation in my case. I do have the photos, but just don't think about it when I'm out on the property.

Photo records seem especially useful for sharing online at forums and stuff too.

I take photos mainly as security. If I'm over or near old fencing or a green house with previously broken glass. I've twice had clients try to make me pay for their 900yr old green house glass!

Also on commercial jobs some before, during and after photos just in case questions are asked by someone at a desk 150 miles away. Yes, it happens.

I always take photos if working on a protected tree in an emergency situation or when carrying out exempt works.

Basically, any situation where I think "oh, I could be accused of causing/doing that".

It's can be your best line of defence.

I would take more photos if I had an attractive female staff member😂.

I love photography, but never took the time to actually do it during hours of work (Daft!),

Silky Fox highlighted to me (through his very enthausiastic) love of taking pictures, how important and beneficial having a photographic record of your work is. Not only does it give you the satisfaction of looking back at a good or particularly tricky job, but as mentioned above can speak a 1000 words when attempting to win a new customer.