Where does the money go?

Dave123

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me if I'm wrong but you sound like you could be one of those customers from hell.

If by this you mean the kind of customer who doesn't take tradesmen at face value then yes, I am probably the worst. I work very hard for my money and when I spend it I like to know exactly what I am getting and where it is going. If a tradesman can not account for his charges then I would find it unusual and suspicious.

If for instance these quotes had come in and I was expected to consider that £650 or £900 was the daily rate for 2 men's labour I would be dropping my pen and heading straight for the nearest training centre, £50 an hour is a high wage, I'm in. Now I've had it broken down I can understand better where it all goes, why it's so expensive and base my decision on who to go with from that.

I think people who just accept a price and that's that are looking to be ripped off, there isn't such a thing as 'it just is because it is' in my bank statements.

If by this you mean the kind of customer who doesn't take tradesmen at face value then yes, I am probably the worst. I work very hard for my money and when I spend it I like to know exactly what I am getting and where it is going. If a tradesman can not account for his charges then I would find it unusual and suspicious.

If for instance these quotes had come in and I was expected to consider that £650 or £900 was the daily rate for 2 men's labour I would be dropping my pen and heading straight for the nearest training centre, £50 an hour is a high wage, I'm in. Now I've had it broken down I can understand better where it all goes, why it's so expensive and base my decision on who to go with from that.

I think people who just accept a price and that's that are looking to be ripped off, there isn't such a thing as 'it just is because it is' in my bank statements.

Fair enough mate you are getting the idea.

Look at the business section and you'll find out about % overheads on turnover.

Mine is fairly low at approx 40%, some of these guys do well to run at 70% overheads on turnover.

It's a big problem for us.... people who are on a wage.. assuming that our price is our wage.

Programs like rogue traders just enforce the distrust from the public...which isnt a bad thing to a certain degree I guess.

Nothing wrong with doing your homework :001_smile:

Any man that says chogging down a trunk with a 385 inches from his chest, whilst held in place with a bit of rope and a pair of spikes, and thinks its not dangerous should consider getting his head examined! no offence intended

Edited by Lee Winger

Hi

I'm a supplier to this industry, so can't help with the price. But what you need to bear in mind is the equipment they will need.

not including fuel, insurance, waste licence, etc...

1 x Truck £5k +

1 x Chipper £10k +

chainsaws and blowers £1.5k

Climbing equipment £1k

Total 17.5k

This is all minimum.

You average electrician or gas fitter

1 x small van £3k

£1k of tools

Total 4k

This is not a dig at you just the way I see it as it winds me up how much I'm charged to have my boiler looked at.:001_smile:

Well done Jonsie.

This is the analogy I use but have yet to find a way of verbalising it in such a way that the client doesn't think I'm slagging off electricians, plumbers.

It makes me SO mad!

Oh, you forgot to add that the sparky will cost the client £15 a day in milk and tea bags then use 2hrs o the day at £60 per hour "just popping to the suppliers"

😡😡

Any man that says chogging down a trunk with a 385 inches from his chest, whilst held in place with a bit of rope and a pair of spikes, and thinks its not dangerous should consider getting his head examined! no offence intended

What about flying down the road at 70/80MPH, in a lump tin, surrounded other lumps of tin, some weighing unto 44tonnes, all these lumps of tin are controlled by people of differing abilities and some are texting or make a phone call, some are elderly and infirm. I don't hear people heralding the heroics of the professional driver, for doing such a dangerous job.

This IMO is far more dangerous than tree work, I much prefer being in control of my own environment, rather that relying on those around me to not cock up.

In 20 years of tree work I have had one injury that kept me off work for a fortnight and that was down to my own stupidity.

Quite a lot of what we do can be scary at times, but there is a big difference between scary and dangerous, I honestly believe that there are ways of making all of our work relatively safe.

Most of the incidences of danger occur through reasons. The team is lacking experience and the necessary skills to complete the task. The job has been under priced, resulting in unnecessary pressure on the team. Badly managed teams and equIpment. Pressure to rush to get onto the next job. And of course the unexpected/hidden hazards. The large percentage of the above are avoidable. If someone is undercutting by a long way, then there is an underlying reason....cheap labour, lack of experience, lack of equipment, lack of training and procedures. Of course there are dangerous trees to work on, and these should command a premium rate in relation to the added risk, utilisation of additional equipment such as Mewps etc.

Ty, neither whack, smug nor cock are offensive words, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. So I make no apology for their use on a public forum. :001_rolleyes:

Most of the incidences of danger occur through reasons. The team is lacking experience and the necessary skills to complete the task. The job has been under priced, resulting in unnecessary pressure on the team. Badly managed teams and equIpment. Pressure to rush to get onto the next job. And of course the unexpected/hidden hazards. The large percentage of the above are avoidable. If someone is undercutting by a long way, then there is an underlying reason....cheap labour, lack of experience, lack of equipment, lack of training and procedures. Of course there are dangerous trees to work on, and these should command a premium rate in relation to the added risk, utilisation of additional equipment such as Mewps etc.

Ty, neither whack, smug nor cock are offensive words, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. So I make no apology for their use on a public forum. :001_rolleyes:

Andy I read some stats once on work place injury, most accidents occur towards the end of the week due to fatigue