Where does the money go?

Dave123

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe so Dave but standing on 50ft leylandii spar is full of more risks than turning off the electric.. My point being also to this is my carpenter , sparky and plumber mates make more money and don't have the risks to take.. But I know this about you and that is you don't let any one else climb your trees or use saws on your sites If it's that easy what's the problem ??? Or do I have that wrong ... ?? Any how my bar bints beckoning and playing with my fat pile of cash I earnt today so will have to wait untill tommorow to see what's said

:)

We are more aware of how to go about the situation and the safest way we can but doesn't mean its not dangerous

IMO, if its dangerous your doing it wrong, my son is just starting for me as an apprentice, if I thought it was dangerous I would not want him to do the job.

Tree works not dangerous, but some of the people doing it are.

You are paying for something to be taken away, not delivered,

If the end result is not something you want, then you won't be happy

But if you are getting something out it

Eg a view, satellite signal, more light and sunshine , piece of mind in storms then you have something to put a value to.

Oh I am not trying to argue the reality of what is taking place, just maybe a reason some may feel it is expensive.

This job of mine for example, in my mind it should not be charged at the same daily rate as a job where some guy has to do the whole Tarzan thing. I stood and watched a guy one day swinging about this huge tree, chopping off branches and lowering them rather than just smashing through the branches below. Now that kind of thing is impressive, I must have stood there for 2 hours until my dog eventually dragged me off home bored. But the conifers seem pretty simple. I wouldn't tackle anything like this after seeing my next door neighbour struggle with his. He was chopping it down and it seemed to be multiplying as it lay in the garden, 6 or 7 trees and you couldn't see him anymore, the garden was just a mound of green, I think he expected to put the back seats down on the car and just do multiple trips to the tip, maybe in a year he could have accomplished this.

In the end he did get them down but had to pay a guy £350 to come in a big truck and take it all away. I think he bought the chainsaw especially for the job, which was broken after this, well the blade was anyway. I borrowed it to cut the tops off my fence posts and it took about 5 minutes to get through a 4 inch post.

Anyway, just to say I know you are offering a great service, but a conifer job in my mind should not cost the same daily rate as a Tarzan job. We are paying for the job not the full capabilities of the workman.

But baring all that in mind, maybe you should all be sectioned for picking this trade in this climate.

Oh I am not trying to argue the reality of what is taking place, just maybe a reason some may feel it is expensive.

This job of mine for example, in my mind it should not be charged at the same daily rate as a job where some guy has to do the whole Tarzan thing.

Thats really the issue we are faced with...people in general(obviously not you from your comments) dont appreciate the skill level. But that aside, its not the skill level that gets the job done for the most part, its having the right equipment on site, which is going to cost roughly the same wether you are knocking down 30ft trees or climbing 100ft trees

Dave123.

You should have been in the "home owners" bit to get less "general Chat"

Hope you have been entertained and a little bit informed.

I think you'll find that tree folk have a daily rate and that's that. Its swings and roundabouts. A big tree may look 'tarzan' but simple connies are difficult to estimate, and always take longer on the clean up...as you have observed.

edit: posted same time as steve