Chainsaw longevity question

predator

Who has had a saw from new etc used it on a regular basis and how long you had it in its unmolested state out the box from new what i mean is not triggers brush . I would like to know the life span of a chainsaw ?? as mine is a fleebay special 5 years old but only gets used once of twice a month for a few hrs or fired up n put back on shelf so should last me a while

just being nosey about saw lifespans as we had a sach dolmar petrol wizzer for years at work new out the box till it was nicked one night

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started the business with a used Husqvarna A65 that a local farmer could not start. (New plug/airfliter and clean fuel)

Then purchased in 1998 purchased a couple of Husqvarna 242 XPG CATS. These saws are used all the time and still on original pistons/carbs.

I also have a 240R brushcutter which has done hundreds of hours of work and still running well but due to be traded in for a new version with heated handles.

I still have original purchase Invoices and manuals/tools that came with them.

Strayed to a Stihl 020S once and never again!!

:thumbup::thumbup::001_rolleyes:

When I first started I bought my saw from my dads cousin who was retiring and who I had worked for for two years and the oldest one was stihl 025 1998 which he had since new and used every day and serviced himself every year and it's still running sweet now think he had a new set of rings fitted in 2005. The point is if you service or have a saw serviced yearly (or more often) it should last a long time.

The best saw's which i buy from new were the old ms200 back handle saw, i have had 3 now over the years each from new about £400 run them just about every day , with a sharp chain, for about 4 to 5 years with very little maintenance, and never have to mess with the tuning, climbing with it as well, and then sell them on ebay for about £350 now thats magic, i just hope the new one is as good as the old one.

A quality saw if maintained will last a very long time . the thing to check for is air leaks in fuel lines seals etc . Once air gets in it weakens the mix and makes it over rev leading to piston/pot failure . If you can avoid this with regular servicing some saws will go on and on .

My saws range from a 1985 husky 181 (fair enough has had new barrel and piston) to a 2011 Husky 550 and a smattering of saws between 1989 and 2005.

Other than the 181 which had dropped a piston ring pin, the only other one which has needed a new barrel and piston was a 357 which only went pop because the auto decomp pipe split.

If you look after them, saws generally last pretty well - most stuff is smaller wear and tear stuff that needs replacing or if you're unlucky, physical damage caused by dropping/running over etc.

Dont pysl but, a stihl ms390. 2007 model, used hard on stuff i dont want to risk other pro saws on, cut iro 350 tons of firewood (mostly beech & oak) only had new plugs, 1 air filter, and an exhuast last month.

People slate them, but it has never ever failed me even when my more expensive saws are failing. It will always be my back up!