A honest quote.

leafcut

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

End of last year I priced a very large beech, with a limited DZ. I was too expensive, by about 100%, for the client. So be it. in my quotation I had priced to lift the butt in 2 sections, due to the inclusion of wire and concrete and rubble in the cavity, i scanned the trunk for about twelve feet with a simple metal detector. At the base of the tree was a cavity I could get my hand into, with a camera, which I used to see inside the tree, more rubble down to about 2inches from the floor.

Someone else got the job, on a cheaper quote. The stump still stands to this day, and the client still hasnt paid for the job as it was payment on completion. It looks ugly, and stands out quite prominently, a testament to bad pricing.

Huck mentions experience gained working for others, this IMO is invaluable, as you have time to learn of all the things in this job to look for that textbooks and college just cant teach, and different techniques to spot potential problems.

got any pics of said tree :biggrin:

I have, but I wouldnt have a clue as to how to upload them-I barely manage with this bloody laptop. I would love to use a crane but the access is on a mega slope, possibly an enormous crane could be used but we would be looking at a definate road closure-which would be even more expense to the client. In truth I very much doubt the tree office would validate any takedown-but we live in hope,I will update the thread with any results...Nick.

sounds like there's plenty of scope for 'biting off more than you can chew' here. As Andy said, you can end up losing money on a big 'un like this. Personally, I would either a. not do it, or b. go in with 1 or 2 more firms and do it mob handed.

As we all know, some of these big jobs are worth less in the bank than several, smaller manageable jobs....and at the end of the day, its what goes in the bank that is the over-riding factor here!

We removed a Very large cedar some years back and the quote was £7500 plus VAT, we had the lot, lines down, big crane on special matting so as not to sink, lorries galore and plenty of "up for it" lads who were keen to get in on killing the monster. I worked my arse off on that sodding tree, the sheer bulk of wood/brash and the concrete filled butt destroyed our profit, I think we just broke even.

With hindsight we would have walked away, I didn't even get any photos. :confused1:

We removed a Very large cedar some years back and the quote was £7500 plus VAT, we had the lot, lines down, big crane on special matting so as not to sink, lorries galore and plenty of "up for it" lads who were keen to get in on killing the monster. I worked my arse off on that sodding tree, the sheer bulk of wood/brash and the concrete filled butt destroyed our profit, I think we just broke even.

With hindsight we would have walked away, I didn't even get any photos. :confused1:

Yes-it may be that I will need to get another busines(s) involved...lots of work, would be excellent footage- ground work, tree work, chipping, bucking the lot, we will see...Nick.