Great service FR Jones - shame about my Stein mini-reach

Andrew Barrett

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who uses any telescopic device knows how fragile they are when subjected to lateral force. Ewans idea to protect the mini-reach is excellent.

Yes, I think Stein make some crap. They also make some quality gear.

The same can be said of Stihl and Husky.

A good point that has been made is that Stein are putting some innovative stuff out there, where others aren't.

And as Jonesie says if you have a problem they are pretty good at fixing it.

...although 'why would Stein bother trying to help such an ungrateful industry' - come on they're not putting their products out there for charity are they!!

Totally agree with this!!!

Why would they bother is because they make money from selling there innovations!!

They can only learn from these type of threads as this is kinda the idea of a forum isn't it?!

This isnt just a dig at stein I have chainsaw trousers that rip(pFanner) boots that fall apart(meindl) harness that loops break(treeamagineers) a saw that needs maintaining to keep it working(Stihl)

In essence all our kit in the end breaks n this is just a way for the manufacturers to make they're products better and more durable?!

In the end they all make money out of it so they should be told if they're products aren't quite right, as we would be told if the job we did for a customer wasn't satisfactory, right?

i have to agree again with Huck et al, most of the time this forum gives good feedback on products. Of course people will complain when something breaks, people will also moan about the economy, the weather, immigrants, not enough work and too much work. Oh and the Olympics. This is a crappy year for many, the weathers not helping and the economy is on it knees, but all that bothers some is the fact that their little retreiving tool has broken.

I also believe that a manufacturer should take on board some of their consumers issues, whether they are phoned directly, emailed, reported back through suppliers outlets or moaned about on a forum. People love it when the reports are good and positive, they dont moan about that and say please give positive feedback through the dealers only, rather than on forum. It can be a double edged sword, but used smartly it can pay dividends. For many, this medium is a direct line to the heart of (in this case) Stein, the little man feels he can achieve something by verbalising his gripes here. Surely, so long as the posting is not derogatory, is accurate and perhaps accompanied with photographic evidence, then everyone, consumer, dealers and manufacturers alike, can come out for the better. This medium is instant, the feedback is instant, the response can be instant, and of course the impact can be instant, unlike one-sided magazine articles where no real feedback seems to come out.

im not even sure why anybody would need one?

Because its "new and innovative".

Get ahead of the Curve John.Next week I will be releasing a digital speedometer for any Tracked Chipper,as well as a Ashtray that fits any Stump Grinder.

Because its "new and innovative".

Get ahead of the Curve John.Next week I will be releasing a digital speedometer for any Tracked Chipper,as well as a Ashtray that fits any Stump Grinder.

Can I have the exclusive on the Ashtray, as long as it under £12.50 no one will moan if it falls off and ash goes on the floor.:lol::001_smile:

I would add that a brand like Stein should not sell any kit at any price that is not fit for purpose. Its dragging them down and I'm doing them a favour putting my neck on the line to give them a heads up.

I agree strongly with Albedo above.

As the person who started this forum I'd like to make a few points:

1. I made sure to give credit where it was due, to FR Jones for their excellent customer service. I now prefer dealing with the likes of FR Jones and Clark Forest on their customer service as well as pricing, compared to my local dealers. I have had problems returning faulty/damaged items to my local Stihl dealer that I no longer have with FR Jones. So I made sure to highlight the positive so that the thread was not just a moan. And thanks to Jonesie for pointing out that Stein are good on the returns, too.

2. I do like the mini-reach. I think it is an excellent idea and, before it broke, a great product. It saves a lot of mucking around swinging ropes back to the climber on rigging jobs. But if you make something cheap because it would be too expensive to make it robust enough for the job then don't be surprised if you damage your brand.

3. Stein: you made some miscalculations when you worked out how strong the mini-reach (45kg pull) and little metal ring (20kg pull) need to be. The problem occurs when you climb around the tree and either the ring or the end of the mini-reach gets caught on a branch or fork. Then when you pull yourself through or push up from your legs you exert a force needed to lift your whole body - i.e. 80kg+. That's how it got broken.

4. Stein: the mini-carabiner is fine, it's the very thin metal ring that is the problem. I have taken it off my replacement mini-reach and replaced it with a loop of chainsaw starter cord - as suggested by someone else earlier on.

Cheers,

Andrew