Chainsaw ban!

Mark Bolam

I think gas repairs and tree felling are slighty different work .When a gas boiler etc goes it can wipe out a lot of people.

As far as repairing your own gas system if something goes wrong you are liable .

I think mark bolams post was a bit tong and cheek and meant no harm.

Does the casual guys down your way do a full dismantle as a "hommer"?.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the same as I can do with a Gas Boiler. Everyone thinks you need to be Corgi REgistered to work on Gas. You can work on your own Gas but not on anyone elses. Maybe this could be the same with Chainsaws but like has been said doesn't stop your average cowboy breaking the rules. They do it with gas so doing it whilst "lopping" a few trees what difference would it make to a cowboy.

Pipped at the post.lol

Sorry fellas, didn't mean to start a war! Of course I don't really wish anyone would run amock with a chainsaw. We all know how dangerous they are don't we? And that's the point I'm getting at. Tot up how much you and your lads have spent getting qualified. Then realise that you're competing against people who haven't seen the need to for as much as 50% of the work out there (especially the easy stuff) and the authorities do sod all about it.

If I had a quid for every bloke who's come up to me in the pub and said "I do a bit of tree lopping myself..." I could retire anyway. And they think they are better than you because they can do it all off a ladder! Aaaarrrgggggh!:thumbdown:

Having a rant because I lost a nice (deadish) Birch dismantle in my own village. Quoted £200. Job was done by a couple of likely lads who went in at £100. Took 2 of them 2 full days (1st ladder wasn't long enough).

You're right in that public perception needs to change before things get better.

Rant over. Have a safe and profitable New Year.

Does anyone wish some loony would run amok with a chainsaw he'd just walked in and bought from B&Q or Argos?

Knee jerk reaction from government would be to ban general sale, tighten restrictions etc.

The have a go hero's would be forced to revert back to bow saws and we could all crack on and reap the rewards our industry has long deserved!

Using hand-guns as an e.g. of Knee jerk reaction from government vs. possible Knee jerk reaction from government with chainsaws IF “some loony would run amok with a chainsaw he'd just walked in and bought from B&Q or Argos” or whent around a school etc

Then you would probably find everyone would have to revert back to bow saws including forestry & arb professionals, so the currant status-quo of “have a go hero's” & professionals would remain.

Nothing whatsoever would happen, the government wouldnt/couldnt give a toss.

It's illegal to own a pit bull and how many of those do you see about? If the police dont have the time or power to get dogs off the street then we have no chance with anything else.

Guns are also illegal and theres probably more of those knocking about than chainsaws tbh.

There will allways be cowboys in any profession imo a lot of people think of tree surgeons as glorified gardeners they dont think there is much skill or danger involved(usually untill they see you doing a proper job) so they think more or less anyone can do it and employ the cheapest person.

They dont understand that if something goes wrong then they will probably be liable and not the cheap cowboy they employed.

I must also add that I dont think that everyone who is cheap does a poor job, I'm sure that there are plenty of small firms out there that can do a more efficient/professional cheaper job than me. They could be quicker/more efficient have better gear, less overheads and work longer hours than me.

Edited by Mesterh

Having a rant because I lost a nice (deadish) Birch dismantle in my own village. Quoted £200. Job was done by a couple of likely lads who went in at £100. Took 2 of them 2 full days (1st ladder wasn't long enough).

Personally I can see nothing wrong with this, if they wish to work all day for £25 each thats up to them!.

Its one of the benefits of living a free country (of sorts).

The only gripe I have is with the uninsured who work cash in hand and claim benefits as well.

Other than that I am more than happy to compete with the unskilled, if I found couldn't beat them then maybe if would be time I found a new profession.

I have myself uninstalled a boiler and capped two gas pipes. I wouldn't however dream of installing a boiler or a gas fire due to the inherent dangers of getting it wrong. To put a spanner in the works how many people who fit stoves are HETAS registered which you should be unless its for your own house/not for payment.

Personally I can see nothing wrong with this, if they wish to work all day for £25 each thats up to them!.

Its one of the benefits of living a free country (of sorts).

The only gripe I have is with the uninsured who work cash in hand and claim benefits as well.

Other than that I am more than happy to compete with the unskilled, if I found couldn't beat them then maybe if would be time I found a new profession.

.:dito::congrats::congrats::congrats: