The great chainsaw file test!

Andrew Barrett

I've been busy testing out five different round files and 3 different flat files and thought I might share my conclusions.

ROUND FILES:

I compared new files from the following brands: Bahco, Go-part, Oregon, Stihl and Vallorbe. The clear winner was Vallorbe: it filed smoothly but still took a lot off with each rub. The Oregon file was also smooth but didn't take off much material with each rub. The Bahco, Go-part & Stihl files were all similar: they took off a decent amount of material but didn't run smoothly and tended to grab and skid.

Windsor files are similar to the Vallorbe ones - they take plenty off but are still very nice and smooth. I was using the Windsor ones but can't get hold of them anymore.

FLAT FILES:

I bought an Oregon flat file a while back but quickly realised it was no better new than the old Husqvarna one I had used up! So, I compared Go-part, Oregon, and Vallorbe flat files. The Oregon one is poor - it skids and won't bite in well.

I've just sharpened my hedge trimmer doing a few teeth then switching between the Vallorbe and Go-part files until all the teeth were done. I concluded there was nothing in it: they are both good and I would choose based on price. The Go-part file is a little wider - same width as my old Husqvarna (came with a filing kit). The Vallorbe is narrower - same width as the Oregon.

I think it's all in ones perspective of what a file is supposed to do .Oregon does fine on Oregon chain but Pfered does better .On hard Stihl chain the ones sold by Baileys ,Arbor pro I think is less agressive and from my perspective does better .Stihl chain will knock the teeth right off of an Oregon file in short order ,

Does anyone else find Stihl chain hard. I find it soft and easy to sharpen by hand. The carlton chain is harder and seems to hold the edge better but hard to sharpen by hand. I buy carlton loops for the processor for between £2-£6 depending on whether they are on offer. I can machine sharpen them at least 6 times and dont get bar jamming problems on the machine. If round files are mediocre and chains cheap I tend not to worry about hitting hard with bench grinder. Getting into a processor to sharpen can be difficult so I tend just to remove the chain.