Walnut root ball buyers?

Treeworld

I was talking with someone the other day and they said that Apparantly the root of the Walnut has a sort of bulb which is used to make veneer for top end luxury products and therefore commands a top price if extracted.

So I have 2 questions, 1) Is this a fact? 2) if So does anyone know any buyers.

Thanks, Dave

I think it is sort of based on fact but I have never heard of any or found someone in the UK who buys walnut roots.... If you had a 3 to 4 foot good walnut, nice colour, some burring then maybe someone would be interested in the root...

You need to be fully set up to process a root in terms of washing and sawing it - I think they do it in places such as Kazakhstan and Turkey and in the States.... but on an industrial scale.

Of all the talk about walnut and the fabulous prices and that so and so sold this for this ..... 97% is utter, total complete cobblers! Don't listen to it! :laugh1:

:001_smile:

I think it is sort of based on fact but I have never heard of any or found someone in the UK who buys walnut roots.... If you had a 3 to 4 foot good walnut, nice colour, some burring then maybe someone would be interested in the root...

You need to be fully set up to process a root in terms of washing and sawing it - I think they do it in places such as Kazakhstan and Turkey and in the States.... but on an industrial scale.

Of all the talk about walnut and the fabulous prices and that so and so sold this for this ..... 97% is utter, total complete cobblers! Don't listen to it! :laugh1:

That's good news as we felled and logged one today and ground the stump right out too.

Oh my god this is so untrue, My mates uncles best friends cousin sold a walnut root ball to a gunstock manufacturer for a bazillion pounds and now owns his own island in the maldives :sneaky2::lol:

I felled a walnut a couple of weeks ago and had to lower all the decent sized timber in as big a lengths possible so it could be sold and left a high stump so the root could be extracted, apparently the roots are used to make gun buts, and can fetch a high price the hard part is finding a buyer

I've heard in the 60's purdeys brought a walnut just for the root ball and paid very good money just to fell the tree back then ... The equivalent to thousands, I believe the guy , as I know his estate and he would not make up a a storey but dont believe there are any saw mills left in the uk capable of handling such timber.