Pricing Too High???

DJP Arb

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree John, price MAY be an indicator of quality, but it very often not.

People who are very good at what they do usually complete the task much more quickly and to a higher standard than less skilled operatives, so their price for the job will be less, however their day rate and profit will be higher.

Thats the way I try and work. I have to be cheaper sometimes to get the work but there is no way I want to earn less per hour/day than the muppetts I am quoting against. I charge a lot per hour and deliver the goods, even though I am not a really fast climber, I run a very efficient crew and the work just gets done effortlessly.

Of course it doesnt always work like that, the less skill required for a job then the less likely I am going to be competitive with everyone else, but the bigger the trees the more likely I will get it.

thats the way I look at it Rupe. Why try and compete against people who underprice and under achieve on jobs?..I'd rather not get the job than walk away from one thinking 'I could have done that better' or worse 'I've just worked my nuts off for nothing'!

thats the way I look at it Rupe. Why try and compete against people who underprice and under achieve on jobs?..I'd rather not get the job than walk away from one thinking 'I could have done that better' or worse 'I've just worked my nuts off for nothing'!

I'm defiantly coming round to your trail of thought! Can completely understand what your saying! Why work your ass off for no profit when you can go out get a decent client right job right money an then have some money to save an re-invest back into the company at a latter date! :thumbup:

why do people assume that because the price is cheaper, the work qaulity will be less

we reduced the 2 oaks below, chipped and left the site spotless in less than 10 hrs for £870.00 with 3 guys on site. the first tree was over 3 gardens.

the other company that quoted put in a price of 1500.00

id say i priced it well, with a high qaulity of work. the difference is that we are an experienced, skilled, efficient crew, where as, the company i was quoting against generally have less experienced guys working for them

The importance of photos in reductions:thumbup:

Totally agree with this.... If people want to work for nothing- let them. They won't be doing it for long.

Let the others do it for 650 and don't let it get to you, sounds like a 'fun' job anyway!

There will be other jobs where you are cheaper than other competition, Tis all swings and roundabouts, but just concentrate on the jobs you do get :biggrin:

:thumbup:

I'm defiantly coming round to your trail of thought! Can completely understand what your saying! Why work your ass off for no profit when you can go out get a decent client right job right money an then have some money to save an re-invest back into the company at a latter date! :thumbup:

You need to make sure you and your groundies are as efficient as possible to keep you competitive. If you are more expensive per hour but quicker then you can still do jobs more cheaply than a less efficient rival. :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, I have come to the conclusion that the other ex-pats Arbs must really be fighting over fewer and fewer scraps.

I follow up my quotes and find the ones I lose to ex-pat Arbs are undercut by 25-33%

That...is pure profit being thrown away in my eyes.:confused1:

The others must be making a living but not enough clear profit to make a viable future business.

Busy fools...

The more French clients we win the better our margins.

I laugh at those who climb trees for the price I cut grass har har har:lol:

I'd rather work less for more than more for less.

Underpricing jobs for fear of losing a job is just a descending spiral.

I won't enter a price war, I'll just wait until their chippers break :001_tt2:

Ty