Beech hedge cutback

woodworm

Question

I have a beech hedge which is about 12 feet high which is fine and I will cut it back as and when, but the problem is that it is over 8 feet wide!. Is it ok to cut it back about 3 feet and if I do, will I end up with a really ugly looking hedge which won't green up on the side again?

Any help greatly appreciated.

9 answers to this question

I have a beech hedge which is about 12 feet high which is fine and I will cut it back as and when, but the problem is that it is over 8 feet wide!. Is it ok to cut it back about 3 feet and if I do, will I end up with a really ugly looking hedge which won't green up on the side again?

Any help greatly appreciated.

No , you will end up with a much nicer hedge which can be properly maintained and much easier to future management :001_smile:

PS . cut with sharp loppers ( sorry not meant to sound derrogatory )

Edited by born2trot

Hi, id recommend pruning in August, prune it back at this time as hard as you like on one side but remember the harder back you prune it the less branchwood youll have to preduce new leaves in the spring.

It will be bare until the spring but the other side will be in leaf and as beech hedges tend to hold onto their leaves over the dormant period you will hopefully not be too exposed.

Good luck

I would do both sides at the same time but thats just me . It will come good if it is a happy hedge :001_smile:

Me too, I think if you just do one side you risk the cut side not putting on much growth, you may just get extra growth on the uncut side to compensate.

Up here in Scotland the climate may be that bit harsher but I would still suggest this.

If it's a north/south hedger cut one side (the west side) one year and the other (east side) the next year. If it's a east/west hedge do both in same year. Even then I would think about taking 1 1/2 feet off each side in year 1 and another 1 1/2 feeet off each side in year 2.

Maybe do in midsummer to allow for reflushing and the wounds to harden and prevent fungal infection in autumn.

Beech has only been in leaf up here for 3 weeks. Scarily late.