How do you cut a eucalyptus stump up with stones inside

scared of heights

Question

I have dug out a large eucalyptus stump but i want to know what is the best way to cut the stump up as i went and bought a electric chainsaw but it hit a stone that was hidden inside the stump. So as i don't know the proper way to sharpen a chainsaw chain and i cannot afford to keep buying chains i was wondering what will be the best way to cut it up. Here is a link to what the stump was like when it was still in the ground.

http://i39.tinypic.com/5y7wx2.jpg

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have done a lot of tree-work for my father, including eucalyptus removal. Back in the 90s they were popular and he planted a load. Shallow roots + wind in north wales = trees lean then fall and stumps need removing. The best way i found was an axe, a bow-saw, a splitting wedge (use a cold chisel if you dont have one) and a lot of sweat/swearing. The improvement on this i used last year was to pay my nephew (then 15) to do the donkey work. Once it was in small-ish pieces i put it on a bonfire. Good luck with it but using a chainsaw for this is not going to end well. If yo absolutely MUST use a chainsaw hire yourself a powerwasher (or loan one) and start washing. get ALL the soil and stones of the roots and then get sawing. Its messy but will at least make it possible (if not really advisable)

Good luck

I tried resting the chainsaw on the cut face but i got 2 inches down and i hit a stone, so as i cannot get a stum grinder around my back i was thinking of buying a long wood drill bit and drilling holes through the centre of the stump and try again with the chainsaw.

There are stump grinders that can grind any stump and are carried, so as long as you can get to the stump it can be removed.

I would get some quotes from some local tree firms to grind it out, or you will need to invest quite a bit more time digging, axing and resharpening that chain.

Besides it may not cost much more to get a pro in to sort it out compared to the cost of buying an axe, sledge hammer, splitting wedges, spare chain sharpening kit etc. Plus you then have to get rid of the stump after you've split it up.

I have dug out a large eucalyptus stump but i want to know what is the best way to cut the stump up as i went and bought a electric chainsaw but it hit a stone that was hidden inside the stump. So as i don't know the proper way to sharpen a chainsaw chain and i cannot afford to keep buying chains i was wondering what will be the best way to cut it up. Here is a link to what the stump was like when it was still in the ground.

http://i39.tinypic.com/5y7wx2.jpg

if you have a boundary of your garden near a road find someone with a hiab to lift it over the fence into a mini skip if its that big

Splitting wedges, lots of sweat and quite a bit of backache was how I did mine.

It will be fibrous and a pig to split, even when wedges are a long way in. You will probably need some bigger wooden wedges to hold the gaps apart.

It you don't want all of the grief of doing this, either pay someone to come and fetch it (skip company?) or, if you can, light a big bonfire and put it somewhere in the middle.

If you can afford the time for it to rot (about three years if left to the elements), get the biggest long wood bit you can find - say 32mm or so - and perforate it all over with holes. It'll rot away to the extent that you'll be able to pull it apart with bare hands in 3 -4 years.

You`de be better off with an axe or mattock.

Yes I agree with this, all you need is some elbow grease, Time and some patients.

You already started the route of spending/throwing money on it, never use a saw unless you know its clean & stone/grit free (we all learned that one a long time ago) :001_tt2:

I was told many years ago buy an old saw mill guy that tungsten blades stay blunt longer:sneaky2: wise words.

Questions to ask yourself;

Why do you want it cut up?

How much money are you willing to spend on it?

How much time are you willing to spend?

Seems like too much effort to me, just take it to the council green-waste tip. Not likely to cost you much if anything, quick, low effort and easy.