Day Rate

ajc

Believe it or not but superheros up with us are 350 a day for 3 men and tracked chipper.

A lot of these lads are so far up a certain creak without a paddle they will work just to cover there finance, guess how busy they are? I cant wait till they have to renew all there pumped equipement next year and realise that credit will be a little harder to get.

are you saying thats too cheap or too dear

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh i am saying this is far too cheap. Sorry if i wasnt clear.

there are a lot of 3 man teams not working at all so how will they fare when they need a new chipper

better to cover your costs than cover your chipper

or is it

there are a lot of 3 man teams not working at all so how will they fare when they need a new chipper

better to cover your costs than cover your chipper

or is it

I know what it is like to be a busy fool, and run with a major overdraft for years. To run a 3 man team,tracked chipper, transport, fuel, insurance, saws and kit plus all the other direct debits you forget about takes money. If there isnt enough to cover this then what is the point. Something has to give. Our job takes consentration. If you have all the worries of a failing business on your shoulders while playing with chainsaws, thats when accidents happen.

guys lets be a little bit moor pragmatic

what is there wage what is your insurance on cost devided by about 220 days worked same with fleet deprciation, tax on cost at about 3%, fuel cost plant and machinery planned running costs, actual runing cost, training and update costs, etc, pension con trib if you do as an employer, o the yard of cource, the waste carriers reg fee,

bit like university challange trying to remember all this lot,

well you get the idear,

take this mean cost devide by actual days worked c.210-215 add profit margine your choise then thatas your answer,

personally i would whant £250 a bloke, but ive found its easier to get that in a 2 man gang and with 3 you have to fight for it a little moor, but alas i know people charging out a lot less.

kev

You are right, but for areas where work is in abundence and you can plough through the work, but if you live in rural areas but love tree work you look at your market first and then work out your day rate.

Then you look at your overheads and see if you can survive as a company.

The alternative is bragging to every one down the pub you charge £800 per day for a three man team once a week and go bust in a month.

If you are not in a busy area you have to run a modest outfit, cut all overheads you can and be value for money.

conkers

i agree and i dissagree

there will always be local variance, but as stated erlier by another party you can be a busy fool, it was always told to me that any one can work for nothing

know your local market, know your costs and as you say see if it is worth wile

cheers

• 1 year later...

if we all start charging too little then we all up the swannee

Its a dangerous job- hard slog and our equipment/insurance is costly

Not to mention 260 days paying staff for probably 220 days work due o holidays and bad weaher

Fuel for chipper/vehicles

saw stuff and ropes and replacement

business rates- yard

Best to price the job not day rates then you benefit when you get the job done quicker using experienced crew.

Just my opinion

the way i see it it the market value depicts what you can charge , down here in cornwall you cant charge £600 per day , well you can but you aint gonna be getting much work . i hear of some firm actually knowingly taking a loss on jobs just so that they are working. as #steve Blair has said there is no point in working if you are not covering your costs. But WHY do people feel the need to work the cheeply they are loosing money or " buying work" ???

This thread is two years old! I wonder if opinions have changed in that time!!

It dpeends how many days you are offered! If I charged £750 a day for the three man crew as described, I would probably price a years work at a slightly lower rate.

Folk as me what I charge an hour, I say it depends how many hours you want, its a lot for first hour of the day but you have the last one free!