Freelance Climber tips please

mcs tree services

I can remember plenty of jobs 2 day jobs I went in for when once things starting going well I was expected to work on till 7pm to finished the job on a day rate then have the next day canceled. Like wise I had been asked to do a day for some gardner at an agreed rate, be done by 12, they want to pay you less buts it too short notice to do anything else.

Either way maybe I had a bad experience. Its all going to come down to who you end up working for to how much you need to provide

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gibbons point about lookin after firms that look after you is a good one, and be aware that its a very small world in tree work,and very unforgiving,dont balls up cos mistakes/attitude are remembered long after the perfect takedown/reduction

Gibbons just given the best advice i've seen for a freelance climber..especially the bit about busy firms and people that don't know what they're doing!. Think carefully about who you work for and remember your day starts from when you leave home till when you get back...if your spending 2 hours a day driving to someones yard before you even start, you need to take time/fuel into account.

Some good advice so far.

On thing I would not do is climb for gardening firms, stick to tree firms, don't let someone build a business on your abilities.

i second that, and also youd more than likely be working with a crew unaccustomed to tree work,which can lead to disasterous results

thanks to all for the hints and tips, although im still unsure on a few points.

1. if there is no other climber/rescuer present does this invalidate insurance?

2. would having a regular dedicated groundie not nearly double the day rate and therefore put people off looking for a cheaper subbie?

3. whats the best way to go about getting work / knowing when work is available, apart from on here of course, is it a case of just ringing round firms and enquiring and leaving details? or is there a good place to advertise ones sevices as available.

i really appreciate people taking the time to clear this stuff up, i'm proper green when it comes to this stuff. getting clearer though cheers

If there is no.aerial.rescue then you got to think do you really want to work for.these people? Do they have insurance. That's when you say ok but only with my groundsman. Chances are there will be someone else on the job, if they won't swap that guy for someone who can rescue you then your best of doing something else.

You just need to get your self out there. Find out what firms use a lot of subbies, get amongst it and make contacts. Call people, ask for work, if they are not paying what you think your worth do a day at their rate.and prove them wrong.

If there is no.aerial.rescue then you got to think do you really want to work for.these people? Do they have insurance. That's when you say ok but only with my groundsman. Chances are there will be someone else on the job, if they won't swap that guy for someone who can rescue you then your best of doing something else.

You just need to get your self out there. Find out what firms use a lot of subbies, get amongst it and make contacts. Call people, ask for work, if they are not paying what you think your worth do a day at their rate.and prove them wrong.

cheers mate, some good food for thought there, just gonna bite the bullet and jump in two footed. always tricky leaving a regular job when theres bills to pay but hopefully will be sound. Ta