Show us your website!

button1803

The post from Mike H is very interesting and clears up a few issues.

For the last 3 months I have spent several hours most nights adding content and pages to my newish website. There is still a long way to go, but it does seem to be working quite well and seems to appear quite well on google.

The problem when writing the metatags is to think of the keywords and incorporate them in a short phrase of less than 155 characters.

You have to not only incorporate keywords that you would use yourself, but also try to think as others might.

An example is that I have a include words such a 'tanaka service dealer in devon" but had not thought that other folk may use different terms such as 'tanaka service agent devon". its just because I never use the term "agent" myself. So now I am rewriting pages to include the word 'agent wherever possible.

So far I reckon I have spent over 200 hours on writing this site and I am only partway there.

Garden Kit | Homepage | Garden Machinery

The post from Mike H is very interesting and clears up a few issues.

For the last 3 months I have spent several hours most nights adding content and pages to my newish website. There is still a long way to go, but it does seem to be working quite well and seems to appear quite well on google.

The problem when writing the metatags is to think of the keywords and incorporate them in a short phrase of less than 155 characters.

You have to not only incorporate keywords that you would use yourself, but also try to think as others might.

An example is that I have a include words such a 'tanaka service dealer in devon" but had not thought that other folk may use different terms such as 'tanaka service agent devon". its just because I never use the term "agent" myself. So now I am rewriting pages to include the word 'agent wherever possible.

So far I reckon I have spent over 200 hours on writing this site and I am only partway there.

Garden Kit | Homepage | Garden Machinery

use google keyword planner too, very handy for seeing what people are really searching for

GardenKit - If you open up an adwords account and go through the process of preparing an ad, google will suggest keywords you may want to bid for. You don't have to go on and do the ad... but you can take all their suggestions of keyword phrases. This info comes from their huge resource of what people have searched for, in relation to your topic. Another place to find potential search phrases is to do a search on google and then scroll down to the bottom of the page. There are sometimes 'suggested searches' listed there. Another really good test is to get friends to search for your products... see what they do. The final test is to get your granny to navigate your site and ask her to buy something. It is amazing how we think our sites are clear and easy to use, when they sometimes are not.

Writing lots of fresh content is really good, but be careful with the 'keyword stuffing'... In my opinion, if you pack a page with too many known keywords and phrases, it may trigger suspicion. I think you could be seen as writing stuff for the search engine spider rather than the user, which could be frowned upon by google. They will notice what you are doing... they are really smart! In my opinion, write natural, informative copy and slip in the odd phrase where and when it makes sense. If you write really good informative stuff around a topic, people will naturally find it and may link to you. This 'natural' growth of links to your site will seriously impress google. It all takes time though.... sigh.

Its difficult to generalise across all the different sectors, but generally a new website will be monitored and if everything appears genuine, then google will get more confident in ranking it higher. Having said that, some sites will rank well from day one because the phrases they are targeting are not very competitive. For what its worth, I think you are doing exactly the right thing by building up content and keeping the site fresh. If you can encourage some other sites which are on the same theme as you, to link to you, then that could help. I think the title tag is still very important. In my experience, a short title tag, with the phrase repeated in moderation throughout the page, works well. Broad match words to reinforce the title is a bonus. The description tag is also good and tailor made for each page. Make sure keywords in any of the metatags are also on the page as well. Keyword tag is hardly used these days, BUT if you have hundreds of keywords in it and many are not even on the page, then you could flag up a penalty.

Just my 2 pence worth, hope its of help.

I've no idea what my earlier post is all about...apologies. Ive recently had a website built and am in the process of doing the content in the hope of moving up the search engine rankings. Its slow going, as finding the time to devote to it is difficult, unless i take the day off. Its getting there though. Great posts from mike H as well, nice one. See what you guys think of it. Constructive criticism and tips welcome.

Home | Vale Tree Care in Evesham | Tree surgery in Evesham

I've no idea what my earlier post is all about...apologies. Ive recently had a website built and am in the process of doing the content in the hope of moving up the search engine rankings. Its slow going, as finding the time to devote to it is difficult, unless i take the day off. Its getting there though. Great posts from mike H as well, nice one. See what you guys think of it. Constructive criticism and tips welcome.

Home | Vale Tree Care in Evesham | Tree surgery in Evesham

Hi Mate,

Nice looking site. Thought it look familiar, you use the same company as me. How did you find them?

I quite like mine but any comments obviously welcome. I'm not keen on some of the content. The web designer wrote it so I'll look at tweaking it when I get the chance.

Cheers,

Hi Mate,

Nice looking site. Thought it look familiar, you use the same company as me. How did you find them?

I quite like mine but any comments obviously welcome. I'm not keen on some of the content. The web designer wrote it so I'll look at tweaking it when I get the chance.

Cheers,

Yeah i used them. I just did a google search and rang around a load of places getting prices etc. I just kinda felt at ease with them and they had decent reviews. Did they design your logo as well? I like your colour scheme bud.

They did some of my content initially, but didnt really understand the whole tree thing i dont think, so im tweaking it all slowly.