shendy

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

know Castor well

Nice pub next door

Plus- Cedar burns a treat and seasons quickly.

Also on the plus side

You may get more paying work from it to deal with the part of the tree that is still standing

I just think he's hoping and could save £500 into the bargain

Can't blame him for trying

I dont blame him for trying but he does state it needs to be someone who knows what they are doing. Also, if he said "take the timber and I'll clear the debris" then it would be more reasonable, but I am sure he want the whole lot cleared.

Not sure how it would work though, if someone comes and picks up the timber and says thats it, he cant hold off on paying them until its finished properly?

If they pay him the 99p (or whatever) on arrival then how is he going to stop them just taking a trailer full of wood and going! That would be worth the 99p!!

know Castor well

Nice pub next door

Plus- Cedar burns a treat and seasons quickly.

Also on the plus side

You may get more paying work from it to deal with the part of the tree that is still standing

I just think he's hoping and could save £500 into the bargain

Can't blame him for trying

I can't see that happening, why would anyone ever want to pay you do tree work again???? They would all be expecting to be paid.

I would never do a job for the wood, let alone pay for it!! If my old customers found out they would feel more than a little ripped off.

As for this being compared to buying standing wood, that timber is generally of the required size and volumes that mean their is a ready resale market and the volumes make transport viable.

Also when extracting bought forestry timber the unwanted brash is left on site, this guy wants the site cleared.

Has anybody actually worked out whether the tree is actually large enough to make the job viable. Say you ended up with 10m3 of logs and 5m3 of chip sold at £100 m3 and £ 4 m3 then total sales £1020. If I was doing the job then I would take both chipper and forwarder hired out at £250 each. Processing of timber a further 2 days at £250 a day plus cost of delivery. If I did do it I would only offer £1 so that the timber became legally mine. Would I do it definitely not. The problem I see with it once on site would be the remaining tree which needs to be taken down. (Whilst your here you might as well take the rest of the tree FOC).

Has anybody actually worked out whether the tree is actually large enough to make the job viable. Say you ended up with 10m3 of logs and 5m3 of chip sold at £100 m3 and £ 4 m3 then total sales £1020. If I was doing the job then I would take both chipper and forwarder hired out at £250 each. Processing of timber a further 2 days at £250 a day plus cost of delivery. If I did do it I would only offer £1 so that the timber became legally mine. Would I do it definitely not. The problem I see with it once on site would be the remaining tree which needs to be taken down. (Whilst your here you might as well take the rest of the tree FOC).

Why would that be a problem???

If you see so much value in the tree, surly you'd be happy to have more???

Incidentally the listing state that the standing part of the tree must retained.

The seller does state that the standing part of the tree is to remain.

I'm sure it will look lovely, and won't be dangerous at all.