Be honest now please

predator

How many of you use a chainsaw on your own n be honest as i wont/dont do it etc

they frighten the hell out of me the damage they could do how would you get help bleeding to death etc

so be honest and confess or am i being over the top with safety etc accidents are real and cause havoc to lives

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

80% of my chainsaw use is on my own, it's only the odd bit of climbing that I always have someone with me..... I tried persuading my wife to help me cutting wood but she lost interest very quickly... before we even got out the door!

If you work safely and use the proper equipment there's no reason why you shouldn't work on your own. I think a basic error easily made too often is not working in a clear area. Taking a minute to make sure there's nothing to trip over when logging or that you have an escape route if you're felling are essential but easily overlooked.

I have used a chainsaw on my own, yes, its called lone working. I don't like it, I'm a believer in working in a team. It doesn't matter how often you call in if on your own, it's still too long before the next call if you cut yourself. So I don't think it's ideal, I don't think it's a safe option, and I certainly wouldn't advocate it. Likewise, you should have a healthy respect for any equipment you do use, and be trained in it's safe use. Also know how to react in the event of something not quite going to plan.

80% of my chainsaw use is on my own, it's only the odd bit of climbing that I always have someone with me..... I tried persuading my wife to help me cutting wood but she lost interest very quickly... before we even got out the door!

If you work safely and use the proper equipment there's no reason why you shouldn't work on your own. I think a basic error easily made too often is not working in a clear area. Taking a minute to make sure there's nothing to trip over when logging or that you have an escape route if you're felling are essential but easily overlooked.

About the same:001_smile:

Hmmmmmm,

Well I know really only part time use, but I have always used a chainsaw on my own, for 35 years.

I am aware of the risks, however I doubt even someone beside me could do much if I snick the big artary.

I do try and not take unnecessary risks, but after 30 years working, in local Government, I have concluded that yon Yankee lumberjack was spot on

"Ye caint fix stoopid".

Anyway at going on 53 with the snick 10 year ago I see myself as expendable:blushing:

Same as the above really, most of the forestry stuff I have done was lone working, always careful = always safe.

I also do solo canoe trips that last a week or so on my own, rarely speak to anyone at all and you wouldn't be found for a while if something happened, life is only as dangerous as you make it.