Climber lifespan

Arran Turner

Hiabs help.... I can work my buns off and get a monster down in quick time then spend the next day and a half sliceing the bugger into managble bits to hand load onto the truck, oh, then handle the stuff off at the other end as there is no room to "tip and tidy".

Tight boss refuses to up grade to truck with lifting gear.

Rant over.

I worked for a company for 6 years and was constantly slicing big trunks to get took away. Wheel barrow after wheel barrow. My back used to always hurt. Company I work for now have a hiab and the amount of work it saves u is unbeleiveable. It's rare my back hurts now. Every company should own one haha

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot depends on who you work for and how you climb. If you work for a

company that does everything the hard way (we all know em!) and you use un-ergonomic climbing style and don't rig...the odds are you be worn out by your mid thirties. I'm 48, been climbing for 18 years and still got plenty of climb left in me......but the rain wipes me out, in bed by nine every night this week!

Got to be less than any other trades due to the simple reason you dont see many old climbers in comparison to the amount of old ground workers and other tradesmen you see.

I think its not the physical hard work, a groundie gets a better workout, its more to do with the suppleness and injuries.A poor choice of words and description but when climbing I can easily get injured(just sprains and knocks) and feel more achy compared to when grounding.

Ergonomic cambium saver arborist at 38 is already done in, that's why he is using the first stuff! He was a ninja tree killer and that's why his body was goosed by the time he is 28. :001_rolleyes:

The clever spike wielding stunt feller, will Live long and prosperous into his 80's.:biggrin:

LOL, thats so true!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

Clearly I will climb till I drop!!!!:biggrin: