Climber lifespan

Arran Turner

Lifespan of climbers i was quoted when i first starting talking about being a climber was 35-40

Just read in another thread 10 years of climbing then your done

Id like to climb well past 40 and im sure there are many fine examples of 40+ climbers on here :thumbup1:

With new climbing techniques such as SRT and more ascending products on the market tree climbing lifespan should be expanding?

What are your tips and tricks to staying fit and when do you think you will be hanging up your rope?:001_smile:

Arran

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladders for initial access helps for starters.

Don't start, anti-ladder brigade, I'm right.

You'll know I'm right when you're in your forties as well.

SRT, pulleys, more ergonomic climbing systems and techniques can all prolong the climbing lifespan.

One-handing and chucking all day isn't good for the elbows either.

If you are climbing hard all day every day you will get shagged out sooner, simple. I've been lucky enough to work with teams where the climbing was split over the years, and that helps a lot.

I'm 42, been climbing for over 18 year, only ever used prussic, cut and chuck every tree, never used a ladder to access a tree or a MEWP. I still going strong and intend to still be climbing in my 70's :biggrin:

Edited by skyhuck

Ladders for initial access helps for starters.

Don't start, anti-ladder brigade, I'm right.

Where is me pitch fork!

I think gene,s have something to do with we are all different and some of us maybe able to cope for longer.

The best climber I work with is old we call him great uncle Q (or the head) he is so old he remembers Jesus. He will out climb me any day works 6 days a week including 10-12 hour shifts without breaking a sweat it's just not hard for him I actually think he lacks sweat glands. He is looking slower in his old age but then you look back and realise he,s done half the tree already and I,m still installing my cambium saver.

Slow is truly fast, those that beast themselves can potentially work themselves into an early retirement before they are actually any good.

Then there is beddes isn,t he in his 40,s 7 time climbing champ and apparently a total machine not worked with him personally but know those that do.

Me I,m 33 reckon I still got 10 years left (i may be a half decent climber to by then) but at my rate :biggrin: shouldn,t be hard.

Where is me pitch fork!

I think gene,s have something to do with we are all different and some of us maybe able to cope for longer.

The best climber I work with is old we call him great uncle Q (or the head) he is so old he remembers Jesus. He will out climb me any day works 6 days a week including 10-12 hour shifts without breaking a sweat it's just not hard for him I actually think he lacks sweat glands. He is looking slower in his old age but then you look back and realise he,s done half the tree already and I,m still installing my cambium saver.

Slow is truly fast, those that beast themselves can potentially work themselves into an early retirement before they are actually any good.

Then there is beddes isn,t he in his 40,s 7 time climbing champ and apparently a total machine not worked with him personally but know those that do.

Me I,m 33 reckon I still got 10 years left (i may be a half decent climber to by then) but at my rate :biggrin: shouldn,t be hard.

Very true.

(and ladders!)

Hiabs help.... I can work my buns off and get a monster down in quick time then spend the next day and a half sliceing the bugger into managble bits to hand load onto the truck, oh, then handle the stuff off at the other end as there is no room to "tip and tidy".

Tight boss refuses to up grade to truck with lifting gear.

Rant over.