Is there a northern Spudulike?

growforest

....you mean the dealers- like the dealers that spend a fortune on sponsoring this website, and (with all due respect) spudulike that doesn't, but touts for business on here with no apparent reciprocal return.

...just a thought.

Just a slight correction, I very very rarely ask people with problems to send their machines to me, almost all of the time I am giving advice on how people can fix them if they have the abillity to learn and fix. I have recently asked members to try their local dealer and had the response "I have and they have failed to find the fault" and this sometimes leads them to send their machines in.

I usually get members out of the blue asking if I can fix their saws, I take on a very small percentage of the saws being used in the UK an most are TBH, beyond economical repair - I rarely do any more than 1-2 saws a week if that, I just don't have the time and am certain no business can be effected by this low level of activity.

I never name and shame dealers that have failed to fix faults, I don't even "big myself up" I don't know everything and know others out there have a wealth of knowledge and never dismiss that fact.

The moderators on this site benefit from the increased traffic that some of my postings, photos bring in and am happy to talk with any of them - some I have in the past and am happy to do so in the future.

I am just politely saying, I don't do rafts of business on the site, it may seem so but it isn't the case - all I try to do is bring in a bit of extra knowledge and instruction to the chainsaw section.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, with my Mod hat on, I watch for people blatantly flouting the forum rules re: advertising, and to date Spud has not done this. If he does, then I'm sure someone will report the offending post to one of us and it will be dealt with as other posts have been dealt with in the past.

With my working hat on, if I found someone who can fix and tune my saws properly, I wouldn't care less if he does it in his spare room or in a fancy pants workshop, so long as the darned thing starts and runs as it should. Of course, if I take it to a large dealership, I'd expect them to charge a lot more for there service than the backyard mechanic. But the skills are the same, this country was built on the backyard mechanics tuning and fixing and fettling away, and at one point we had the finest 2stroke tuners in the world!

A question for pleasant, Garden Kit, Megatron and any other dealers.

Is your car still in warranty? If not, do you still use the main dealer to service it? If it is still in warranty, would you appreciate waiting six weeks to have it repaired? If you drive an old car that you're happy with, would you appreciate a derogatory attitude and a suggestion that you should scrap it and buy a new one fom them?

The issue as I see it is not that all dealers are bad - but some undoubtedly are. They are also more expensive, for reasons of overhead making some work uneconomic.

We live in a freemarket economy. If dealers collectively want our business they need to offer a service at a price that is competitive, otherwise they will be out-competed. Anything else is protectionism. Advertising on this site incurs a cost in exchange for a benefit - it's an executive decision whether or not to do so. This is separate from word of mouth recommendation which is based on customer experience.

For what it's worth, F.R.Jones seem to get both.

In the meantime, I am open to using anyone competent, timely and reasonably priced. Four local dealers failed to meet these criteria (actually, it wasn't price that any of them failed on). Saws are well out of warranty so I went independent, and am happy.

Alec

This thread echos several postings I have seen on various threads lately which hint at a general mistrust of dealerships.

As in all businesses, whether saw dealerships, tree surgeons, firewood merchants or even cake shops, there will be some good, some bad, and many in between.

So it is unfair to brand us all with the same badge.

The dealers on this site are in the minority, but we can show the nature of the business from our side.

This is exactly what pleasant has done here, and done it very well ( with the exception of the misunderstood reference to spud!)

I joined this forum to get a futher insight into the business of my type of customers, and have found it extremely informative.

I hope you tree guys and gardeners can benefit equally from the insight into our business from threads such as this.

Maybe we should start an 'ask the dealers' thread?

This thread echos several postings I have seen on various threads lately which hint at a general mistrust of dealerships.

As in all businesses, whether saw dealerships, tree surgeons, firewood merchants or even cake shops, there will be some good, some bad, and many in between.

The dealers on this site are in the minority, but we can show the nature of the business from our side.

This is exactly what pleasant has done here, and done it very well ( with the exception of the misunderstood reference to spud!)

I joined this forum to get a futher insight into the business of my type of customers, and have found it extremely informative.

I hope you tree guys and gardeners can benefit equally from the insight into our business from threads such as this.

I like this,a fair & balanced response.:thumbup1:

Ok, with my Mod hat on, I watch for people blatantly flouting the forum rules re: advertising, and to date Spud has not done this. If he does, then I'm sure someone will report the offending post to one of us and it will be dealt with as other posts have been dealt with in the past.

From; http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/627480-post10.html

If you are interested then just PM me but rough cost is £100 - £150 depending on what I find and don't forget a black unlimited coil is needed as the blue coil makes tuning a PITA.

From;http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/541897-post13.html

Just a weakness in the saw and if the idle starts playing up it is the first place to check - I have had a number of huskys in with this fault and it is often hard to find - personally I always pressure check the saw after replacing these parts.

Re - not being local - many members send their saws to me - Parcel2go only charge £6.00!

Good luck with it - the dealer should know all this and correct it - if they are good with saws...............:001_rolleyes:

Well said that man :thumbup: :thumbup: