just heard something well funny

Hodge

It does make you laugh though when you go to give a quote and the client says johny up the road is charging £10.00 hr doing tree work, Why dont you get johny up the road to do this tree then? Oh because this 20ft conifer is too big for johny to do, Will you do it for £10.00hr thats a classic which sadly is happening far too often around here:confused1:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to look at a MASSIVE beech dismantl the other day down an embankment garden down two flights of stairs fences underneath etc probably 4 days work with three of us, I gave her a price of £2k and she turned round and said 'oh but I know someone who'll do it for free for the firewood'.

I replied 'well let them crack on with it then'!

I went to look at a MASSIVE beech dismantl the other day down an embankment garden down two flights of stairs fences underneath etc probably 4 days work with three of us, I gave her a price of £2k and she turned round and said 'oh but I know someone who'll do it for free for the firewood'.

I replied 'well let them crack on with it then'!

You should have said why the heck did you call me then!! LoL, what dicks there are out there.

Presumably in that case either (a) the person seeking the quote is telling a bare faced lie, or (b) the person who is willing to take away the firewood hasn't got a clue about the scope of work, has no insurance and most probably hasn't got the equipment to do a large dismantle.

on the same vane

quoted a very large, local muslim school to sort out the 80 odd trees in their grounds.

loads of dead, leaners, etc

never heard anything till yesterday.

our local "i'll do it for the firewood" fella rang me.

"can i borrow one of your 880's ? i'm at ***** hall college and i've got a 3' dia horse chesnut half way over but my saw won't touch it" (he's got an 18" ryobi )

"errrrrrr no, soz " :lol:

thing is, on every school we do, i provide my insurance certs, m/s, r/a's, we even have CRB checks printed out for the lads that'll be going.

i know for a fact this joker has no insurance or nothing !!!!!!!

Thats the value of firewood at work.

A local construction company estimator was telling me about a Railway bridge that they PAID £20K to get the job (remove) basically because of the value of the metal.

Agreed it's not altogether the same thing but this is the environment we now work in.

Having said that I have never paid a customer for the firewood- it feels like it should be a perk of the trade or it's a pain to get rid of and firewood is the cheapest way of getting rid of it.

Only last week we totally screwed a 3ft chain as the tree was full of nails/screws(where the customer had put up birdboxes over the years)

Thats about £50-60 chain cost for £80 worth of logs (but only once seasoned and logged). Just wasn't worth it.

It does make you laugh though when you go to give a quote and the client says johny up the road is charging £10.00 hr doing tree work, Why dont you get johny up the road to do this tree then? Oh because this 20ft conifer is too big for johny to do, Will you do it for £10.00hr thats a classic which sadly is happening far too often around here:confused1:

The answer to that is - how many hours would Johnny have spent on it, gives total cost. We cost out at x times that but do it x times quicker.

No difference in cost, but it's done by professionals who tidy up properly, have insurance and don't leave it in a layby.

As some have said - hourly rates can lead to tea-break, string it out syndrome.

Ahhhh bring back those heady days of the British Leyland (workers) in the 70s..