Husky 346xp or 550xp?

Purplem00se

I'd go straight for the 550 - mine IS a 2011 one (mid december built) and will kick a 346 properly in the goolies. I was very very dubious of going for a new generation saw but having had a 560 on demo, the bar had been raised enough to take a bit of a risk.

There's no doubting the 346 is a good saw, but it just didn't inspire me enough to part with the cash for one. I'd been needing a new little saw for a while to replace my old 353 and was even considering rebuilding a 242 with shiny new gen barrel/piston instead but the 550 is like a 242 on steroids :thumbup1:

I'm finding I'm using my 550 in timber I'd previously have been taking a 357 into and so far it's been faultless (warm starting was a bit of a knack but I should have read the manual first :blushing: ). It seems to whip through a tank of fuel a bit quicker than a 346 does, but it'll usually be a couple of trees ahead by then anyway.

The way I looked at it, was that if it plays up I'll finish the day off with a spare saw and then drop it in to our dealer on the way home and they'll sort it under warranty. So far I haven't needed too.

I found that with mine, even though it claims to use 25% less fuel. Then I put them side by side, put equal amounts of fuel in and cut them against eachother, both with the same bar/chain. the 550 was empty only just before the 346, but a cube of firewood ahead:thumbup1:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Recently had a 550xp,

The best saw i have used so light and powerful!!!

Loads of torque, plenty of power for felling, light and nimble for snedding...........Perfect.

Another good feature is the on/off switch resets itself so its always ready to start.

The stihl ms341 stays in the truck now:thumbup:

why go forward all this teckno is only costing us more ££££££ the 346 is a good saw

why change it a lighter saw eat more fryup's a more powerfull saw keep what your got tuned and sharp

Yup - my tuning is done with a £1 screwdriver - God alone knows what is going on under the top cover of these new saws, it will be dealers prices on these saw repairs if the computer goes tits up:thumbdown:

Not sure the auto tune is worth it, a couple of lads off this site are going to give my ported saws a run up against the latest 560XP - it will be very interesting to see how both the 346XP and 357XP compare to the 560!!