Fuel Strike

Treemon

Had this through from large company we contract to -

Please refer below to the info just received from the FTA, reference a potential disruption to fuel supplies, starting in April 2012.

Information on the Unite plans are in the public domain.

A strike ballot is currently taking place of over 2500 UNITE tanker drivers, embracing 90% of drivers supplying petrol to UK forecourts;

The dispute relates to UNITE seeking collective bargaining for all tanker drivers on pensions, pay, training and H&S;

If there is a positive vote for a strike, the earliest this could commence is 2nd April, but most likely from 10th April;

Strike action is not inevitable and the scale and nature of it is not clear. However, if strike action does occur it could cause major disruption across the country, with the majority of the larger fuel terminals impacted for more than a week.

They have said it may come to nothing, part of me feels that if was a protest over the price of fuel it may be more justifable

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason strikes don't work any more is because alot of people will quite happily moan about the increase but won't do anything about it and just carry on.

Its about the only thing the French can do right, when they have a strike the whole country gets behind the cause. Not just a few die hards and the other who will winge but cave in far to early. If a strike was to work here everyone has get behind it, not just the tanker drivers.

The only reason strikes don't work any more is because alot of people will quite happily moan about the increase but won't do anything about it and just carry on.

Its about the only thing the French can do right, when they have a strike the whole country gets behind the cause. Not just a few die hards and the other who will winge but cave in far to early. If a strike was to work here everyone has get behind it, not just the tanker drivers.

In essence, I agree with this however, it's not just wafer deep.

If the government were to slash prices at the pump they've still got to get the money from somewhere. We would see it added elsewhere or it would be acquired through stealth taxes.

If anyone wants me to join a slow convoy in my Mog on the M25 to protest, I will but I'll probably breakdown causing a serious delay!!

Heard on the radio the other day that the govenment were talking about a new scheme that makes it illegal for new drivers to drive at certain times (something like 11pm-5am). I just caught the end of it so didn't pick up any details.

I paid £1.37 pl tonight at that was at a tesco!

Got a 600mile round trip to do in a weeks time to see my family for 2 weeks ... wonder how many benefit sponges my work in the tree tops will be providing for :sneaky2:

Loads of them. They talking about it going up 5p in August I think. Soon people will give up work as they can not afford to get in.

If fuel goes up then lorry firms prices go up so grocerys go up. In turn tax goes up.

So lowering fuel duty will mean they get it other ways but does it matter if everything will go up anyway.

Was thinking about doing quotes the other day? You use your fuel and money to go and do a quote, so does the job price go up as you have been there to quote and then go again to do job? So in fact you are going to the job twice? This all uses fuel so it's all extra cost.

Was just thinking about while at the pump the other day. Amazing how much fuel gets used now. Not using anymore than was before just the big hole left in wallet.