Healthy eating ?

Dean Lofthouse

As far as I know, any saturated fat is bad fat.

Dean, saturated and monounsaturated fats are non essential nutrients, you dont need them, although they can be used by the body to make energy. Polyunsaturated fats or oils are essential.

A piece of meat will contain mainly saturated and monounsaturated fat with little polyunsaturated fat.

The problem with crisps is the salt content, they make your body hold water to compensate for the salt which is why serious crisp fanatics look bloated.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things to consider when looking at food is that the retailer will always promote the plus points of their product and not the bad points otherwise no one would buy it. When VW promote their R32 Golf they promote the speed, acceleration and road holding. They don't promote the sub 20 miles a gallon, £450 plus road tax and its rubber eating ability. When you see someone promoting a product like this, always remember while they offer it to you, they're holding their fingers crossed behind their back that you don't realise the whole deal. For further suggested reading see "The Hidden Persuaders" written by Vance Packard. he wrote this classic decades ago and it still holds true - the definitive guide to marketing, mind minipulation and advertising the products we buy every day. And you thought it was all about healthy eating!:001_smile:

We're avoiding just about all foods with yeast extract, glucose syrup, refined sugars, sweetener, flavour enhancers, heaps of added salt etc. Cuts out just about most processed crap, pies, cooking sauces, gravy granules etc. And the amazing thing is, it's no more expensive. no less convenient, and everything is tasting better - always used to heap sugar on my porridge, but now don't and it still tastes sweet. And gravy - home made... lush. Most food now coming from farm shop, local greengrocer and local butcher. Seem to be living on a diet of fresh meat, fresh fish, veg, fruit, and feeling much better for it. Over a couple of months my blood pressure has dropped from a peak of 169/90 to more like 130/70 when it was checked a couple of weeks back.

Been making an effort to make sure i eat more meats last few months, mix of bison and venison.

Meals are so good and if you havent tried bison before then i truly recommend it as a very lean red meat. Scottish Bison

i am just a happy customer of theirs.

Oh and the venison came from Mar Lodge Estate, national trust for scotland through Sheridans butchers in Ballater, once again just a happy customer.

Edited by david wood
more info