One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

I would only use aspen in new saws, and keep using it in them, as if you change to aspen after using regular fuel will clean all the carbon out of the pot resulting in gritty bits forming and scratching the pot... At least that's what my German friend tells me. On an average days Carving I get through 5-10 litres depending on which saws I'm using, so would get quite pricey! Guess I just need to make sure I charge appropriately! :-D

I would only use aspen in new saws, and keep using it in them, as if you change to aspen after using regular fuel will clean all the carbon out of the pot resulting in gritty bits forming and scratching the pot... At least that's what my German friend tells me. On an average days Carving I get through 5-10 litres depending on which saws I'm using, so would get quite pricey! Guess I just need to make sure I charge appropriately! :-D

thanks alot for that answer i was wondering if that would be the problem

guess i will stick with the :devil-smiley-017: devil i know

I have been using Aspen in all my service work for the past two years, and in that time have had no engine failures at all.

In fairness, there have been the odd instance of machines needing a retune after a tank or two of Aspen, and engines do indeed burn cleaner and stop laying down deposits of carbon, but the erosion of existing carbon deposits is a very slow process and and any eroded carbon will be so small that it will pass harmlessly through the exhaust.

In those two years I have not seen, or had reported, any tendancy to run hotter than on pump fuel.

There are unfortunately a lot of 'old wives tales' about Aspen, most of them spread by people who have little understanding of the product.

I do quite happily run older machines on Aspen and have no hesitation in recommending it for vintage kit as well.

If vintage kit survived the quite drastic change from leaded to unleaded fuel it will have no trouble at all in running on Aspen.

The ethanol content of modern pump fuel is however of great concern, and when it changes from 5% to 10% within 3 years there are going to be great problems in this industry. Aspen will come into its own then.

I would take your friends advise with a pinch of salt, not had any problems with my converted saws, & have not read any reports backing this up.

I certainly would not let a rumour affect my decision to convert to Aspen, when you weigh up the benefits.

good evening just a small question to you i was in a large garden sales shop in a city northwest of you and i was enquiring about aspen as i had some other stuff to pick up, and i explained that i was concerned about the quality of the pump petrol, and would it be sensible to use aspen in my old vintage saws and villiers engines and they advised me not too use it as it will burn to hot and it could do more damage than normal top grade pump petrol with fuel fit added and husqvarna 2 stroke oil

i was hoping you could tell me if this is true or not

thanks shavey

What's vintage? I run my 090, 051 and 020avs plus my 1972 weedeater blower on aspen, I'd say they're vintage, no dead saws yet

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Great to see that Aspen users are helping others out but to clear things up a little and to avoid confusion please read the following notes i have made about switching to aspen,

Aspen fuel will never damage your machines!

If your machine runs poorly after switching to Aspen and a simple re-tune doesn't fix this then fault will most likely be with a problem caused by previously running pump fuel.(usually adjusting the low speed mixture about a 1/4 of a turn to make it richer does the trick)

Worst case scenario in order get a pump fuel damaged machine running on aspen is the following:

• Overhaul the carburetor - cleaning metal parts and replacing gaskets/rubber parts
  • Change fuel lines
  • (rarely) replace petrol tank lid or other plastic/rubber seals that could have come in contact with regular fuel and have become damaged.

Once these easy (and inexpensive) steps have been followed you will have a machine which runs happily on aspen, and you will be able to benefit from having a machine which runs better and doesn't emit anywhere near the amount of toxic emissions into the air that you breath whilst working.

Most saws wont have these problems and will happily accept the change to aspen without any issues (as gardenkit has nicely pointed out), the reasons some saws have issues when others don't is a little bit of a mystery but it seems to come down to the following reasons

• Poorer quality parts used in machine
  • the machine has been subject to a higher volume of pump fuel
  • model of carburetor, the carb on the ms200t is especially prone from experience

To avoid the guesswork of finding out whether your machine will work on aspen or not straight away then i suggest you start using aspen a) when you get a new machine or b) switch after your next service and get your Aspen dealer to service the carburetor and fuel lines and at the same time make sure its dialed in to run spot on with aspen.

please note that Aspen cant cure underlying problems such as worn piston rings, leaking head or crankcase gaskets, worn crank etc.

Unfortunately not all Garden Machinery dealers are like Garden Kit and understand Aspen as good as Barry does, Hence why some dealers will give wrong advice due to the fact they don't understand the product. If you encounter this, please drop me a message or better yet tell them to give us a call so that we can explain it to them.

A lot of dealers wont stock Aspen or recommend it to their customers because they believe that by recommending it they will lose business from servicing due to the fact people wont get the mix wrong or encounter stale fuel issues! talk about customer service!

If anyone has any concerns in running aspen please give us a call in the office on 01929 551557 or give Eddie a call on 07568 108953.

/Axel

Question for the aspen rep. I run a 2t rotax kart and was wondering if there would be any problems running it on aspen

Hope Eddie doesn't mind me answering this,

Aspen 2 is only suitable for air cooled engines so with your rotax engine you would be better of using aspen 4 mixed with your current oil. you would probably also have to adjust the low speed fueling to get the best performance.

However, Aspen has a much higher MON octane rating of 92 which means it won't technically be legal if competing under MSA regulations...