One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

Bought some 2T yesterday and the price has gone up due to an increase in fuel duty I was told.

Is this true and has it applied to all fuel? The petrol pumps haven't gone up recently.

Just checked Aspen's website and prices are as follows:

Aspen 2

£4.16 bottle

5Ltr £18.16 can

200Ltr £463.20 drum

Aspen 4

1Ltr £4.04 bottle

5Ltr £17.95 can

200Ltr £652.31 drum

Bio Chain Oil

1Ltr £17.12

3Ltr £27.50

20Ltr £109.80

Edited by TGB

Some dealers do set their own price as you say, but there is a published RRP issued by Anglo American to their dealers.

The last price increase was several months ago and currently stands at:-

Aspen 2 in 5 litre cans £18.98 inc vat

Aspen 4 in 5 litre cans £18.49 inc vat

The Aspen website is actually out of date, I will bring this to their attention.

Some dealers do 'mark up' the product and sell at an inflated price as the they consider the profit margin to be insufficient. I do not agree with this practice and stick firmly to the RRP.

There are others who feel the need to sell at a discount.

I'm now a year down the line from getting my first batch of Aspen. I'm probably not the biggest consumer out there as it's only running in my saws, which only I use. As a freelancer, I have always run my own fuel to avoid the hazards of other people's mixes. The problem I had with pump fuel was that if I spent a fortnight doing silky reductions, my fuel was going stale. If I was running low on one mix, I had to mix a separate can up. Aspen's storage life and guaranteed mix solved these problems for me. I have had to paint big red A's on my fuel tanks to stop people filling them up with their own mix though!

I've been through about 110 litres in the last 12 months, over that time I've spent an average of £1.40 per working day on Aspen. Hardly a bank breaking amount!

The saws are all running nicely, I haven't needed to change any fuel filters as there's no gunk or crap going into them. I'm not getting 2 stroke induced headaches or feeling groggy at the end of a long day and the truck doesn't fill up with petrol fumes on a hot day. I make no extra trips to the filling station, I go to get fuel once every eight or nine weeks. Nor do I need to mess about mixing or checking levels, or worrying about which 2 stroke oil is the best.

The only issue I've had is what to do with empty cans. I've now found a (nationwide) company that will recycle them for me, so I'm sending them off when I've got enough to warrant a collection.

I can't see myself going back to pump fuel now, for me the future's orange (cans):D

Holy mix oil Batman, what were you putting in to make it go off in 2 weeks????????????????

I'm now a year down the line from getting my first batch of Aspen. I'm probably not the biggest consumer out there as it's only running in my saws, which only I use. As a freelancer, I have always run my own fuel to avoid the hazards of other people's mixes. The problem I had with pump fuel was that if I spent a fortnight doing silky reductions, my fuel was going stale. If I was running low on one mix, I had to mix a separate can up. Aspen's storage life and guaranteed mix solved these problems for me. I have had to paint big red A's on my fuel tanks to stop people filling them up with their own mix though!

I've been through about 110 litres in the last 12 months, over that time I've spent an average of £1.40 per working day on Aspen. Hardly a bank breaking amount!

The saws are all running nicely, I haven't needed to change any fuel filters as there's no gunk or crap going into them. I'm not getting 2 stroke induced headaches or feeling groggy at the end of a long day and the truck doesn't fill up with petrol fumes on a hot day. I make no extra trips to the filling station, I go to get fuel once every eight or nine weeks. Nor do I need to mess about mixing or checking levels, or worrying about which 2 stroke oil is the best.

The only issue I've had is what to do with empty cans. I've now found a (nationwide) company that will recycle them for me, so I'm sending them off when I've got enough to warrant a collection.

I can't see myself going back to pump fuel now, for me the future's orange (cans):D

A very positive post there Dan.

Some dealers do set their own price as you say, but there is a published RRP issued by Anglo American to their dealers.

The last price increase was several months ago and currently stands at:-

Aspen 2 in 5 litre cans £18.98 inc vat

Aspen 4 in 5 litre cans £18.49 inc vat

The Aspen website is actually out of date, I will bring this to their attention.

Some dealers do 'mark up' the product and sell at an inflated price as the they consider the profit margin to be insufficient. I do not agree with this practice and stick firmly to the RRP.

There are others who feel the need to sell at a discount.

Thanks Barrie. What I actually paid yesterday for 5L of Aspen 2 was £18.69; last time I was there it was £18.51.

I'm not beefing about the rise, I just hadn't heard anything about yet more fuel duty and, as I said, pump prices don't seem to have taken a sudden hit.

Jon

The cans are the same material as milk bottles so the recyclers SHOULD take them, but some will not.

If you have space in your household rubbish wheely bin then put the odd can in a blackbag. Crush it or cut it up to save space. Get rid weekly rather than save them up.

Sure, it will go to landfill, but a lot of so called 'recycled' waste does anyway

Thanks Barrie. What I actually paid yesterday for 5L of Aspen 2 was £18.69; last time I was there it was £18.51.

I'm not beefing about the rise, I just hadn't heard anything about yet more fuel duty and, as I said, pump prices don't seem to have taken a sudden hit.

Jon

The last Aspen price increase was in April 2013.

There has been no increase in fuel duty since then. In fact fuel duty was 'frozen' for 2 years in the March budget. It therefore remains at a massive 57.95 pence per litre.