To Coronet or Not to Coronet, now that is a question

David Humphries

Just wondered, what with this day and age of liability, i'm suprised that whoever runs the park is happy to have trees like that around. What say you monkeyd ?

I would say it gets checked regularly anyway, im guessing if it did fall it wouldn't damage much anyway doesn't look that big. It's nice giving it a second chance, looks like its growing well.

Ian

Just wondered, what with this day and age of liability, i'm suprised that whoever runs the park is happy to have trees like that around. What say you monkeyd ?

The Monoliths at my site are mapped, targets identified, monitored anually and incrementally reduced/felled when assessed to be too unstable.

Defensible R/A imo.

Not all quite within Claus Matthecks reccomended 3-4m. :confused1:

Its good to hear of comprehensive management, but, as i'm sure your aware the public seem to have a death wish when storms start blowing and think its a good idea to walk around large trees and woods! R/A or not, you cant allow for idiocy and acts of god. I was once witness to this and was asked to assist the fire brigade removing a large chestnut of a car with a dead person inside. Not a nice experience!

• 1 month later...
Do you ?

Have you ?

Wont you ?

If so, why?

Our local punters and the local bug fraternity, seem to like the aesthetics & micro habitat of dead standing coroneted monoliths as opposed to flushed cut ones.

Please feel free to Discuss !

good for bugs and animals right!...but we are in the tree care industry..what about the tree??

good for bugs and animals right!...but we are in the tree care industry..what about the tree??

........what about the Tree community??

A Tree is not the total sum of it's own parts.

A healthy Tree needs root and soil interaction with microbes, fungi, bacteria, invertebrates and so on........these essential elements are inbalanced in the urban environment today, supplying dead woody matter to redress this; in my relatively insignificant opinion, is a small but critical part of our "Tree Care Industry"

What says you Martyn?

:ciao:

i don't like the idea of coronets. i quite like natural fractures though - you just can't imitate them properly; maybe with a hammer and chisel though.

Whats wrong with just leaving the deadwood on the floor? Do the bugs have to climb?

Pretty good attempt though monkeyd one of the best i seen

Ok i see the bat roost thing now but still think theres too much intervention with trees when simply replanting might be better after felling. More than happy to leave a pile of brash and logs behind for the same money though in the interest of ecology of course. (and they criticise fly tipping!)

oh yeah just to be really picky aren't they monodendrons not monoliths (lithos being greek for stone)

its all greek to me