To Coronet or Not to Coronet, now that is a question

David Humphries

• 2 months later...

I work on a conservation site and we try to use coronete cuts when we can. So I use them alot.

I think the more you do the better they seem to look. You dont want something looking like a meat clever (ive seen some that do):001_tongue:

The hardest ive had to do is one from a mewp using a stihl ms 660.

My only concern is how this style of cut effects CODIT and would you only use this cut on dead wood. As i have used this cut on live wood when having to remove a limb.? any ideas

Punji stakes are what dinks used in Vietnam.[Traps}.

Sorta quessed that.

My only concern is how this style of cut effects CODIT and would you only use this cut on dead wood. As i have used this cut on live wood when having to remove a limb.? any ideas

Personally Tully, I am starting to believe that a trunk/branch union will heal more naturally if a stub ( what ever length 50, 100, 150, 200cm depending on target/tree species ofcourse) should be left on where possible, so that the a branch collar can form at a slower pace which may provide a higher level of hormones than when a target prune up to the perceived collar takes place.

In my opinion, this is partly where the technique of using coros comes in.

Who really wants to see a flushed off stub, T prunned or not ?

We may never be able to replicate a fracture/natural coro with a chain saw, but with pratice we could get close.

Win win, aesthetically it appears that no saw cutting has taken place and the branch collar gets more time to "heal" more naturally.

Im obviously not advocating we bin percieved arboricultural knowledge with regards to Shigo, target pruning, CODIT etc............

..........but , from my observation of trees over 20 odd years, they, if conditions allow, do a damned fine job of healing naturally disguarded limbs and branches.

Where dy'a think the boffins got their ideas of collar healing from?

Right, I've bunkered up, got me armour on and am willing to get me head shot at from above the parapet, as I've now shown me colours.

I do not have the scientific data to back this up btw.

Just an instinct.

So, what say you, Arbpadres ?

:thumbdown::thumbup1::001_unsure::bash:

Bring it on.

I understand what you are saying and experience is vital to back up ur statement. I understand that if a collar is missed in target pruning it can cut away the meristamatic cells and make forming wound wood and callus harder. But i was also led to believe if you left too much wood like you state. 50 ,100 mm etc then we are leaving a free zone of tree to be infected . If this fungus has time to gather strenght then it can pass the branch collar and cause more harm.

But i do fully back your thoughts on coronet cutting. Just wish there was more solid info on their influence on CODIT. Also on some species where the wood is larger and older , meristematic cells are fewer so is it still right to coronete at such a level (on live wood)?

. But i was also led to believe if you left too much wood like you state. 50 ,100 mm etc then we are leaving a free zone of tree to be infected . If this fungus has time to gather strenght then it can pass the branch collar and cause more harm.

QUOTE]

Tully, I said 50, 100, 150, 200 CMS

Big difference. :001_smile: