To Coronet or Not to Coronet, now that is a question

David Humphries

Holiday Cheers to you and yours as well, David.

Don't often post but I try to keep tabs. I have interest in your research.

Hamadryad, you would do well to follow Mr. Monkeyd for his path is similar to yours. It is well-blazed and documented with pictures but it may still be hard to follow because of his light step.

You will note that with many of his presentations he will end with a question. Have you ever noticed that it is the teachers who ask the questions that the students may answer?

Dave

Holiday Cheers to you and yours as well, David.

Don't often post but I try to keep tabs. I have interest in your research.

Hamadryad, you would do well to follow Mr. Monkeyd for his path is similar to yours. It is well-blazed and documented with pictures but it may still be hard to follow because of his light step.

You will note that with many of his presentations he will end with a question. Have you ever noticed that it is the teachers who ask the questions that the students may answer?

Dave

But i am a student not a master! and i hope i never will be, doubt i ever will be, and if i ever do become one, fate will have dealt me a dillusional blow.

Dont worry OB-1, i choose those I follow with wisdom!

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

i don't like the idea of coronets. i quite like natural fractures though - you just can't imitate them properly; maybe with a hammer and chisel though.

Whats wrong with just leaving the deadwood on the floor? Do the bugs have to climb?

Pretty good attempt though monkeyd one of the best i seen

Yes, beetles are very particular about their habitat. Some species aren't fussy but some like very specific environments. Some would love a pile of wood on the ground, others wouldn't be interested at all.

One of my jobs is extracting beetle remains from environmental archaeological samples in order to reconstruct past environments- it is possible to do this only because of how specific beetles are about where they live.

Yes, beetles are very particular about their habitat. Some species aren't fussy but some like very specific environments. Some would love a pile of wood on the ground, others wouldn't be interested at all.

One of my jobs is extracting beetle remains from environmental archaeological samples in order to reconstruct past environments- it is possible to do this only because of how specific beetles are about where they live.

awsome job KAT1e!

bet you would have some REALLY interesting insights for us on habitat creation, do elaborate on this pretty please!:thumbup1:

Yes it is interesting, I would like to learn more about modern beetles in woodland though, as the work I do has a distinct bias towards wet areas (where preservation of archaeological samples is best) and also obviously towards populated areas, many of which weren't woodland. I've got to go and do the family thing, it being Christmas and all, but will no doubt be back later. Happy to elaborate, do post any questions and I'll try to answer later. Any advice also appreciated as am interested in habitat creation, in particular coppicing young woodland and also what to do with a few mature trees and some standing deadwood. This needs to fit in with some timber extraction also, not purely conservation.