ms200t sharpening

travis

To be fair to the OP, he never mentioned where he was using the saw, either up a tree or on the ground. Come to that he did not even say he was using it himself. He only admitted that he was rubbish at sharpening.

Maybe a few more constructive points on sharpening and less assumptions may be in order?

I wonder if the file is too large?

I would avoid a dremel

Well said

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to be offensive, and this may not be considered helpful, but if you have to ask a question like that you should not be using a 200t imo.

I believe I chose my words carefully?

As mentioned if he/she just wants to learn how to sharpen a saw, he could say so? But in that case, why the specific question re a 200t? Which is why i voiced my doubts, perhaps he/she is an inexperienced operator who has been given a 200t and is not aware of the potential danger, who knows?

Like Stubby said, perhaps not judge too quick without all the facts.

If you can't do it freehand then get a file plate . This keeps the file the correct height above the the top of the cutter , 1/5th dia of file I seem to remember, and that is assuming you are using the correct dia file ( 4mm or 5/32 in old money ) Oh and keep the file level (paralelle to the ground) if its a Stihl chain , if its an Oregon then I think its down 10 dgrees ish . The angle back toward the saw will be on the plate ( 30 degrees I think ) I agree with the coments from the other guys though !

What he said.

Personally if feel that oragon 4mm files work better on small stihl chains than the stihl variety. I think i posted a huge guide on this years ago Mr Bullman. Follow the angle on the top of the cutter file guides can we a little obstructive while filing gently twist the file. This ensure's maximum contact and balances out the wear across the file diameter oh and make sure the file is sharp and wipe in on ya strides to work out any filings that might be clogging it.

Travis, if you are filing the links, you have one of two problems.

Either you are using a file of too large a diameter as has been mentioned, or you are filing freehand (without a plate)

In the first case a large file cannot fit into a small gap so will take the leading edge of the cutter back too far, and eat into the top of the link plates. Not good.

In the second case the file is not being held up by the plate and downward pressure is being applied. You will not be sharpening the underside of the cutting edge but will be eating into the link plates. Also not good.

There is a good video guide to sharpening on Robs Chainsawbars site.

There is a good video guide to sharpening on Robs Chainsawbars site.

Thanks for that :biggrin: although I will admit that I am not the best in the world of sharpening but hopefully it gives the general idea.

I'd ditto the aboves in that sounds like to large a file being used freehand.

Although sometimes with those smaller chains in can be tricky to maintain the curve of the tooth with the file plate on...