Christians on arbtalk?

Matt Butler

Ha ha, ace vids Tim.

last one.....promise

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-WJO0YQLOs]Billy Connolly on Christians and Christian Rock - YouTube[/ame]

Caution, Billy Connolly swears an incy wincy little bit in this

Edited by Andy Collins

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. There have been and are a great many compassionate and loving Christians - let's consider people like William Wilberforce, Desmond Tutu, Martin Luther King, christian charities such as Christian Aid, Tearfund, CAFOD .... in fact they are working hard to try and repair broken societies.

2. I have cut down trees (dying trees) for clients with similar beliefs - once I was asked to place the tree spirit in a box left out for me by the owner.

1. So are lots of people and organisations without a religious background that don't feel the need to publically "advertize" what motivates them in their work.

2. So have I. We for instance allowed an obviously psychotic woman to perform in her opinion necessary rituals and ceremonies to prepare and guide an elm in front of her house in Amsterdam to pass on to tree heaven for a week before we had the tree taken down.

Christians tell other people about Jesus because he is real. He was a real man, who did a real man's job 2000 years ago. He died about the worth death possible at the hands of the Romans, the world experts in degrading execution.

He defeated death and the grave and lives today.

Many intelligent and expert sceptics with an open mind have set out to disprove Christianity and when they have really researched have changed their minds and have become disciples of Jesus.

The point is that, although many things in my life are important the most pivotal fact is that I am a follower of Jesus. This affects every other aspect of my life, (or it should) It affects my attitude towards other people, money, possesions, status, power, influence and how I spend my time.

Surely, in contrast, to an atheist there is nothing. If there is no God, no Jesus, there is nothing at the centre of your life, as there is at mine.

If that is the case surely there is no motivation to share that?

Trivial example: I am not interested at all in football. I have no desire to watch it or play it. Naturally, out of that fact, I have no desire to encourage other people not to like football. What would be the point of that?

Therefore I really don't understand it when 'atheists' are practically evangelical in there zeal to persuade people that there is no God. My theory on that (and of course this is a generalisation and I may be totally wrong) is that people like this, who are vehementaly opposed to the existance of God/Jesus really have the issue of anger or defiance towards Him.

I have friends who say that they're athesists and we have talked at great length on this topic. A couple of them have conceeded that they wish to deny the existance of God as if they acknowledge Him they would have a change the way they live their lives. I know that others blame God for bad stuff that has happened to them or others and I understand this, but surely it's disengenuous to say you don't believe in God because you're angry at/with Him?

I noticed you also commented on TCD's thread (RE; Deporting to Zim). The various Christian organisations, probably the Catholics alone, have killed, raped, pillaged and child abused for much much longer than Mugabe. THe current pope himself has covered up for child rape.

Organised religion is the scourge of humanity.

1. So are lots of people and organisations without a religious background that don't feel the need to publically "advertize" what motivates them in their work.

Of course. I was merely pointing out that not all 'religious' people are paedophiles or murderers to add some balance to this conversation.

I noticed you also commented on TCD's thread (RE; Deporting to Zim). The various Christian organisations, probably the Catholics alone, have killed, raped, pillaged and child abused for much much longer than Mugabe. THe current pope himself has covered up for child rape.

Organised religion is the scourge of humanity.

As a Christian, I agree.

Just finished a Christianity Explored course ran by my fiance's parents; they are devout Christian, she less so. Thought I would attend it to try to understand it a little more as it is something which is important to them and in so doing build some bridges between us. Also,I thought it was somewhat contradictory that they were eminent medical professionals (medical director of Christies) and held religious views. I found it really interesting and challenging.

I had a view of what Christianity was and now I have explored it a little that view has changed. If you guys are interested in knowing about it or want to further your understanding I suggest you could approach a church and ask a minister or the like. My opinion was that, like it or not, the bible has shaped our society. For me it seemed like a reasonable time to begin reading it.

I don't know much about the subject but thought I could share my recent experience.

David.