Went to price a job today and could not believe my eyes

treebloke

No - alot can't read or write. A group came into a 'pie pub' and asked for a steak, the waiter realized their problem and helped them out. Loads more examples if needed, I'm not against them just different systems.

It's a different game dealing with them, as other posts have noted, it's like horse trading by handshakes.

Yes, but even if some one cannot read it does not mean a written contract is invalid, if they sign the contract its binding, its their responsibility to have read and understood the contract before signing, if they cannot read they need to get some one they trust to read it to them.

If this were not the case anyone wanting to get out of a contract would simply claim to be illiterate and walk away.

Edited by skyhuck

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There money is as good as anybody elses, coz it usually is!

Do you really think they work pay the bill fair and square - no chance.

'Would touch it with yours', as they say!

Ive came across plenty of slow payers out there and travellers are no way near the top of the list. Big companys are some of worst for payment!. When you say "There money is everybody elses" where does yours come from do you not work for the public our any kind off business to get your money because thats where mine comes from.

Yes, but even if some one cannot read it does not mean a written contract is invalid, if they sign the contract its binding, its their responsibility to have read and understood the contract before signing, if they cannot read they need to get some one they trust to read it to them.

If this were not the case anyone wanting to get out of a contract would simply claim to be illiterate and walk away.

Interesting all this talk about contracts, good luck trying to take them to court if they don't pay!

Interesting all this talk about contracts, good luck trying to take them to court if they don't pay!

My thoughts exactly.

I have had many many dealings with travellers, unfortunately the majority were bad!

I also know travellers that would rather die than jib on an handshake. However, I would never in a million years, work for a traveller, unless I knew him very very well or he was recommended by the same

Quite true but is it a risk worth taking, the lad did seem quite genuine but I have had dealings like this before so it makes you a little cautious.

I would suspect they will want more done than quoted for so I will give them a price and it will be in writing and very specific.

HI TREE did you get the job mate i was off same were today and i go by there camp could i get by the road was full with cut trees limbs so i got out and move it .its all mad :lol:jon :thumbup:

HI TREE did you get the job mate i was off same were today and i go by there camp could i get by the road was full with cut trees limbs so i got out and move it .its all mad :lol:jon :thumbup:

The guy called me back twice after his price (to be honest I wasn't sure who I was talking to) so I gave it him verbally, he is currently thinking about it.

However, I doubt he will be using us on this occasion:001_cool:.

If anyone in the Birmingham area wants some very nice Oak firewood (approx 10 tonne) let me know, they have a very large and dead tree to fell, you may need to do a Bat survey first though.