Landy geeks; GVW tech needed on 110's

18 stoner

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 130 TD5 came from G&S drakes, they had 2 at the time both around 50k miles (severn trent water) then loads at 160k+ miles (leccy board). I had next to no trouble with mine in 4 years. It might be worth giving him a ring to see if he has anything knocking about or knows of anything, his place is quite big but seriously disorganised.

Here's the story. Looking for a 110 for tree surgery work. Will end up with tipper conversion if not already fitted.

Been looking at anything agewise really but would like to keep final budget below £10k. This would include probably £3k for the tipper conversion.

A couple of questions;

Ive noticed there doesnt seem to be any td5 hi caps around that are 3499kg gross, but plenty of tdi's.

Have I been looking in the wrong places, or is there a reason for this, like were they standard earlier and not now? I do need the larger payload.

Got chance of a couple of good td5 hi caps but 3050kg gross, so is it possible to get them uprated? Would be nice if you have absolute knowledge on this one!

Have looked at 130's but seems a fair task to find a single cab at reasonable money without 200k on the clock!

Feel free to throw any comments in if you think its relevant

Cheers in advance, Pete.

It can be done, I have done it a couple of times

The 90, 110 and 130 can all be plated to 3499kg, it’s within the design weight of the vehicle so it’s a paper exercise, just fill in section 22 on your V5 and send it to Swansea.

If you are unlucky they might decide to send you to get it inspected at VOSA, it’s just a box tick and a payment.

I am converting my 110 hicap to 3500kg as soon as my 130 is finished, it's also going on a 130 galv chassis.

you need to put bump stop extenders on the front axle and put helper springs in the rear coils, you already have the salisbury axle and that is pretty much all that needs doing.

The problem comes with getting a new plate stamped, there are loads of plates available on the net but land rover has a special stamp for 2 of the characters on the plate, also it's stamped from the back so the letters stand up on the front, and atm I am struggling to find a plate the right size to replace the one on the brake servo.

I am currently trying to persuade land rover to stamp a new plate which I understand they can do but are reluctant to do so.

Axle weights for the 130 are GVW 3500kg, GTW 7000kg, front axle 1580kg and rear axle 2200kg but should be the same or the 110.

I called into Vosa at Ipswich to discuss the uprate and they said they would be happy with it and just get a plate made by someone else, but I would rather have one that looks official.

Insurance wise I discussed it with NFU yesterday and they are happy with both the chassis length change and the weight uprate so long as they can have a copy of the MOT certificate.

If you want to know the realities you need to speak to these guys or these guys.(ask for Shaun, tell him Tom Pugh put you in touch)

The first is where info is kept on every landrover ever made (they were the only people with whom i could check the serial number on a transfer box for example, including Land Rover Limited) and will give you the absolute bottom line about GVWs etc etc, heavy duty chassis :sneaky2:etc etc. The second bunch are my garage who have worked on every conceivable variant of land rover out there over the last 48 odd years.

(BTW I am assured that there is no such thing as a heavy duty chassis on the civilian market, nor has there ever been, and that the difference is in the brakes and suspension between the 3050 and 3500 variants.)

All LWB land rovers have salisbury rear axles a standard. Uprating brakes and suspension is a piece of p155. replating can be done by VOSA, or just see the guy on ebay who sell the rivets for vehicle VIn plates....he sells blank plates too. For many years 130s (or127s as they used to be known and still are 127" wheelbase) were plated as 110s.

I am worried about looking like too much of a geek now so i will shut up.......:blushing::biggrin:

If you want to know the realities you need to speak to these guys or these guys.(ask for Shaun, tell him Tom Pugh put you in touch)

The first is where info is kept on every landrover ever made (they were the only people with whom i could check the serial number on a transfer box for example, including Land Rover Limited) and will give you the absolute bottom line about GVWs etc etc, heavy duty chassis :sneaky2:etc etc. The second bunch are my garage who have worked on every conceivable variant of land rover out there over the last 48 odd years.

(BTW I am assured that there is no such thing as a heavy duty chassis on the civilian market, nor has there ever been, and that the difference is in the brakes and suspension between the 3050 and 3500 variants.)

All LWB land rovers have salisbury rear axles a standard. Uprating brakes and suspension is a piece of p155. replating can be done by VOSA, or just see the guy on ebay who sell the rivets for vehicle VIn plates....he sells blank plates too. For many years 130s (or127s as they used to be known and still are 127" wheelbase) were plated as 110s.

I am worried about looking like too much of a geek now so i will shut up.......:blushing::biggrin:

HI TOMMER ref brakes your right mate ref uprating them ours on the ex gas 110 the brakes are too good it skids:lol: on the road thanks jon

up.......:blushing::biggrin:

The heavy duty chassis was available as an option and was usually specked by utility companies, it involved 2 or 3mm plates being welded down the entire chassis, but was a rust trap as water gets between the 2 plates and rusts away nicely, hence my 130 rebuild :)

VOSA have said they can not issue a new plate the plate is for me to get sorted but they check that the alterations have been made.